This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3215 / 51°19'17"N
Longitude: -2.2074 / 2°12'26"W
OS Eastings: 385641
OS Northings: 158065
OS Grid: ST856580
Mapcode National: GBR 1ST.0RJ
Mapcode Global: VH972.P1DR
Entry Name: Parish Church of St James
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284401
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313923
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Trowbridge
Built-Up Area: Trowbridge
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Trowbridge St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
970/5/5 CHURCH STREET
29-DEC-50 (South side)
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES
Church. 1st recorded 1125; an early church supposed to date from the C13. The present church is a fine late C15 church, extensively and accurately restored by Manners and Gill 1847-48. This restoration involved rebuilding the chancel, south chapel, both arcades, clerestory and spire. 5 bay aisled nave with aisles continued to enclose west tower with recessed spire. Large chapels at east end of aisles (the Wyke and Duke Chapels). 3 bay lower chancel with small clergy vestry on north side. Battlemented parapets with pinnacles above weathered buttresses (renewed 1926-30). A range of large and crudely carved gargoyles,
31 in number, of early date and ribald character are very prominent. Deep west
porch, 2 storeyed north porch, similar but richer south porch. The spire has 3
bands of blind traceried panels, 3 stage tower with crocketted pinnacles at angles.
The interior much restored. Panelled nave ceiling with winged cartouches. Niches between clerestory windows with nodding ogee canopies flanked by coupled triangular buttress shafts. Wide (1847) arcade. Fan vaults under tower and in north porch. 4-light window tracery to aisles and chancel, and 3 to clerestory. Chancel arch festooned with tablets. 3 good C12 tomb slabs in north porch and tower from site of castle, 1 inscribed "puella noe Acelina". Octagonal late C18 font. Stained glass mostly by Powell, Warrington and Bull [mid C19]. George Crabbe was rector 1814-32.
Parish Church of St James with the listed tombs, the Old Vestry Rooms, Nos 7 and
11 to 13 (consec) Church Walk and Nos 46 to 48 (consec) Fore Street form a group.
Nos 2 and 7 Church Walk are of local interest.
Listing NGR: ST8564858072
Other nearby listed buildings