History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Buxhall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.181 / 52°10'51"N

Longitude: 0.9287 / 0°55'43"E

OS Eastings: 600327

OS Northings: 257686

OS Grid: TM003576

Mapcode National: GBR SJQ.7LV

Mapcode Global: VHKDN.1FVW

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284404

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279797

Location: Buxhall, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Buxhall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Buxhall St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Buxhall

Listing Text

BUXHALL BRETTENHAM ROAD
TM 05 NW

2/22 The Old Rectory
9.12.55

GV II

Former rectory, c.1710 for Rev. Thomas Hill; remodelling in early C19, or
c.1852 for Rev. Copinger Hill. Gault brick with probable timber-framed core;
parapets with cornice of gault terracotta, moulded with modillions beneath
scallops. Hipped concrete plaintiled roof; four original dormers with leaded
semi-circular heads, and sashes with intersecting glazing bars. Axial chimneys
of red brick probably of c.1710 but in the early C17 manner: two groups of 3
and 4 octagonal shafts with moulded caps and bases. In a rear wing are two
similar stacks with one and two shafts respectively. 8 windows; 2 storeys and
attics. Small-pane sashes with flush frames; flat arches of gauged brick.
The centre 4 bays are slightly set forward, but the composition is not
symmetrical; at the break point are C19 rainwater pipes whose square
hopperheads are impressed with the Copinger coat of arms. Entrance doorway
of early C19: moulded and panelled pilasters; the cornice and a canopy above
are enriched. The canopy is supported on scrolled iron brackets. 3-panelled
door; the upper panel is glazed. A good dogleg staircase in a rear wing of
c.1710 has barley sugar twist balusters. At the left-hand gable is a bow
window 2 storeys high; with similar details to the main elevation.


Listing NGR: TM0032757686

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.