History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Norton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2605 / 52°15'37"N

Longitude: 0.8931 / 0°53'35"E

OS Eastings: 597538

OS Northings: 266429

OS Grid: TL975664

Mapcode National: GBR SHP.BLY

Mapcode Global: VHKD7.FFHX

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Last Amended: 9 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284431

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281206

Location: Norton, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Norton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Norton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Badwell Ash

Listing Text


TL 96 NE NORTON NORTON LITTLE GREEN

2/103 Manor Farmhouse (formerly
listed as Manor Farmhouse
15.11.54 and Barn)

GV II*

Farmhouse, formerly manor house. Circa 1530-50; fragmentary medieval core,
and alterations of c.1600-1630, 2 storeys and attics. Complex plan: a 2-cell
cross-wing (parallel to the road) added to a (now-fragmentary) 2-bay open
hall, and a parlour cell in the western re-entrant angle. Timber-framed and
plastered: the framing is exposed at 1st storey of south side. A long-wall
petty with exposed joist ends and splayed brackets beneath. Close-studding
with 3 blocked moulded mullioned windows, and another (inserted) with diamond
mullions. Mid C16 parapet gables of red brick with diaperwork patterning in
burnt headers. The crowstepped gables have a moulded brick weathering beneath
each step. Plaintiled roof (concrete plaintiles on rear ranges). External
mid C16 gable chimneys with twin octagonal moulded shafts (reduced to just
above plinth level). Late C19 3-light casements with transomes. Early C19 6-
panelled entrance door with oblong fanlight and mid C20 flat-roofed porch on
oak posts. Interior: both cells of the cross-wing have moulded beams and
joists, lintelled open fireplaces and high quality close-studding, and one has
a 4-centred arched doorway. The open hall has only a little studwork and the
tiebeam from the open truss remaining. In early C17 a rare and interesting 2-
bay block was added to the rear. On the north side was an open loggia with
Large turned baluster shafts (now infilled). The room above was partly over
the loggia and was supported on the shafts. It has an oriel window
continuing for the entire length of 2 sides, with ovolo-mullions and
transomes (now blocked). Internal panelling with fluted pilasters remains in
one part of the room (now subdivided).


Listing NGR: TL9753866429

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.