History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weybread, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3732 / 52°22'23"N

Longitude: 1.2908 / 1°17'26"E

OS Eastings: 624102

OS Northings: 280117

OS Grid: TM241801

Mapcode National: GBR VKJ.35G

Mapcode Global: VHL9B.BM71

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284449

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280077

Location: Weybread, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Weybread

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Weybread St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Brockdish

Listing Text

WEYBREAD CHURCH ROAD
TM 28 SW
1/128 Church of St. Andrew
-
29.7.55
GV II*

Parish church. Medieval; considerably restored 1865-6. Nave, chancel, north
and south aisles, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble with
stone dressings. Slated roof to nave, the other roofs clad in lead and
copper. Round tower, perhaps C12, with a C14 belfry stage containing 4
cinquefoil-headed openings with matching flushwork panels between. Flat
parapet. Nave probably C14, with C15 4-bay clerestorey. C15 3-bay aisles,
the windows largely renewed. C15 knapped flint porch with panelled flushwork
to the facade and plinth. Moulded entrance arch, the spandrels carved with
angels bearing shields; above the entrance a canopied niche containing a C19
figure. Original porch roof. C15 moulded nave doorway. C14 chancel with
much C19 renewal. Interior. 3-bay aisle arcades. The restoration of 1865-6
included a new arched-braced nave roof with stone corbels of prophets at the
foot of the wall posts; substantial renewal of the aisle and chancel roofs;
new poppyhead benches and matching stalls. 2 C14 piscinas, the one in the
sanctuary much restored. Cusped niches to each side of the chancel arch. In
the south aisle is the shaft and the lower half of the bowl of a C15 font,
with panelled decoration.


Listing NGR: TM2410280117

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.