This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4707 / 51°28'14"N
Longitude: -1.7204 / 1°43'13"W
OS Eastings: 419516
OS Northings: 174671
OS Grid: SU195746
Mapcode National: GBR 4WH.PW6
Mapcode Global: VHC1H.49BF
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 27 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311353
Location: Ogbourne St. George, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Ogbourne St. George
Built-Up Area: Ogbourne St George
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 17 SE OGBOURNE ST GEORGE HIGH STREET
7/101 Manor House
Manor house on site of the 'Great Grange' and seat of the proctor-
general in England of the Abbot of Bec-Hellouin. (Eure). C17, and
probably 1659 for George Bond. English bond brickwork on limestone
and flint foundation offsetting at water sill. Two storeys,
cellars and attics. Double range plan with central stair hall, the
rear range wider terminating in very large stacks. Service
extension on north-west corner. Front range altered in C18.
Central pair of doors and doorcase below elaborate consoles and
canopy. Flanking tripartite sashes with stone hoodmoulds. Coved
eaves and roof hipped. The rear range has an independent roof.
Five bays, with central C17-panelled door within monolithic 4-
centred stone arch, and similar opening, now blocked, between bays
4 and 5. Two and 3-light stone ovolo-moulded windows with labels,
the lower floor and stair windows with transomes and brick
segmental relieving arches over. Five gabled dormers to rear.
Two-light cellar windows. C17 moulded timber doorcase refixed in
garden wall adjoining north-east corner of house. Datestone in
stack reads AN DO 1619(?), and an unfixed stone internally,
Interior: Front reception rooms have stacks to rear walls, one
with a stone fire surround. Stair in rear hall, C17 bobbin turned
balusters, extending to attic level. C17 full oak panelling to
both eastern rooms, the front room painted, and original C17 front
door re-used as door to library in south-west corner.
Listing NGR: SU1951674671
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings