History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cote Baptist Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7255 / 51°43'31"N

Longitude: -1.493 / 1°29'34"W

OS Eastings: 435114

OS Northings: 203097

OS Grid: SP351030

Mapcode National: GBR 6WC.MD1

Mapcode Global: VHC08.2WKL

Entry Name: Cote Baptist Church

Listing Date: 8 October 1981

Last Amended: 17 October 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284460

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252074

Location: Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chim

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bampton

Listing Text

ASTON BAMPTON AND SHIFFORD COTE

SP30SE
10/3 Cote Baptist Church
08/10/81 (Formerly listed as Baptist
Chapel)

GV II

Baptist church. Mid C18 (c.1738). Coursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate
roof, One-cell plan. Georgian style. Gabled 2-storey, 3-window range front.
Semi-circular arch over window with leaded lights, flanked by bracketed flat
hoods and flat stone arches over C18 four-panelled doors. similar first-floor
windows: flat-topped gable surmounted by plaque with side scrolls. Similar
windows to left side wall and rear wall, each of 2-window range. One-storey
range to right, of similar materials with stone end stack, has flat stone arch
over plank door and round-arched windows with leaded lights. Interior: all
fittings installed in 1859. Box pews with hinged doors; gallery with panelled
front supported on corrugated iron posts and reached from 2 sets of C19
quarter-turn stairs. Pulpit with shaped and panelled front and reader's desk,
with lectern, at west end. Memorial tablet to Thomas Dunscombe, pastor, d.1811.
The chapel was founded in 1656.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.557).


Listing NGR: SP3511403097

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.