This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4135 / 51°24'48"N
Longitude: -2.1584 / 2°9'30"W
OS Eastings: 389083
OS Northings: 168284
OS Grid: ST890682
Mapcode National: GBR 1RQ.753
Mapcode Global: VH96J.JQTS
Entry Name: Gastard Court Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284461
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315166
Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13
Civil Parish: Corsham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Gastard
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 86 NE
Gastard Court Farmhouse
Farmhouse, late medieval and C17, rubble stone with Bridgwater tile
roof, half-hipped, with ridge stack. Large projecting gable to
crosswing right of centre, continued to rear with west side chimney
gable. North front has, to left, 2 large buttresses flanking 3-
light recessed ovolo-moulded window with hoodmould, then door in
Cl9 flush surround with dormer gable over and 2-light recessed
cyma-moulded window. Crosswing gable projects slightly with higher
roof line, 3-light recessed cyma-moulded window and hoodmould to
each floor. Range to right at similar roof height has roof
continued over lean-to with door and various windows. Rear has
similar pair of heavy buttresses to right, flanking 2-light
recessed cyma-moulded window. Gable over with 3-light recessed
ovolo-moulded window and hoodmould. To right upper casement pair
and door in angle to crosswing. Crosswing has east side ground
floor 2-light and hoodmould, south end 3-light with hoodmould to
each foor, all ovolo-moulded and large chimney gable to west.
Range to left has C19 two-light windows, one above, 2 below.
Interior: east end room has heavy beamed 4-panel ceiling and large
timber lintel fireplace. The house belonged to the Jones family
cl,560, passed to R. Sherfield 1605, to the Colborne family 1631-
1744 and then to the Mitchell family 1744-1876.
(H. Brakspear, Corsham n.d 28 - reprint Wilts Arch Mag 43, 511-39).
Listing NGR: ST8908368284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings