History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos. 226 (The Mill House) and 227

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Helen Without, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6936 / 51°41'37"N

Longitude: -1.3283 / 1°19'42"W

OS Eastings: 446521

OS Northings: 199642

OS Grid: SU465996

Mapcode National: GBR 7Y9.M12

Mapcode Global: VHCXZ.XPMJ

Entry Name: Nos. 226 (The Mill House) and 227

Listing Date: 24 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284466

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249806

Location: St. Helen Without, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: St Helen Without

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Dry Sandford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Abingdon

Listing Text

ST.HELEN WITHOUT COTHILL ROAD
SU49NE (South side)
Dry Sandford
8/129 Nos. 226 (The Mill House) and 227

II

Mill and millhouse, now 2 dwellings. Early/mid C18 millhouse. Uncoursed
limestone rubble, with chequer brick front; gabled C20 tile roof; brick end
stacks and rear stack. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys; 3-window range. C20 flat
brick arch over C20 door with pediment hood above. Segmental arches over C20
casements: raised storey band. 2-storey rear range of limestone rubble with
brick quoins and dressings and rear wall of early C19 Flemish bond brick.
Cross-wing of mill to right: c.1800, of coursed limestone rubble with brick
quoins and dressings, and gabled old tile roof. Gabled front of 2 storeys;
2-window range, with segmental brick arches over C20 windows and glazed door:
weatherboard sack hoist: C20 garage doors in right side wall. Interior not
inspected but likely to be of interest. History: jambs of front doorway have
graffiti dates 1624, 1647, 1679, IG 1734 and ET 1736 which probably commemorate
past owners.


Listing NGR: SU4652199642

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.