History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Antrobus House

A Grade II Listed Building in Amesbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1701 / 51°10'12"N

Longitude: -1.7774 / 1°46'38"W

OS Eastings: 415656

OS Northings: 141227

OS Grid: SU156412

Mapcode National: GBR 503.FG6

Mapcode Global: VHB5C.4VPD

Entry Name: Antrobus House

Listing Date: 10 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284468

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321372

Location: Amesbury, Wiltshire, SP4

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Amesbury

Built-Up Area: Amesbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Amesbury St Mary and St Melor

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Amesbury

Listing Text

AMESBURY SALISBURY ROAD
SU 1541
(north-east side)
11/61 No 39, Antrobus House

II
Village hall, 1924-25, by Geoffrey Fildes. Hand-made bricks in
Flemish bond, tiled roof. Two storeys and attics. Early Georgian
in style. Symmetrical, comprising a tall 5-bay central block
containing the hall, with lower links to 2 x 3 bay cross wings
containing ancilliary services. Main block has central entrance, a
pair of doors with decorated fanlights within a round-headed
Portland stone doorcase, carved keystone connected up to swags
over. To either side, two very tall 28-paned sash windows with
segmental gauged brick heads and prominent keystones. Recessed
brick panels over, before plat band incorporating sills of upper
floor windows, 12-paned sashes also with segmental heads. Moulded
timber dentilled cornice. Roof hipped, with dormers to sides and a
central tall glazed lantern with square lead dome and a wind vane
in form of galleon. Links are 2 storeys, with parapets and glazed
doors to ground floor. Wings have 15-pane sashes to ground floor,
12-paned above, all with gauged brick lintels. Parapet and hipped
roofs. Each wing has 2 tall panelled brick stacks. Half-glazed
doors central to side elevations. Added brick porch on south.
Interior: Main hall has cross beams and oak bolection moulded
panelling. Built to a high standard of excellence as memorial to
an Antrobus son lost in the Great War.


Listing NGR: SU1565641227

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.