History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leedes Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Hemingstone, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1346 / 52°8'4"N

Longitude: 1.1317 / 1°7'54"E

OS Eastings: 614422

OS Northings: 253104

OS Grid: TM144531

Mapcode National: GBR TLW.4Y9

Mapcode Global: VHLBD.KLMZ

Entry Name: Leedes Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284484

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279734

Location: Hemingstone, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Hemingstone

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Hemingstone St Gregory

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

HEMINGSTONE BULLS ROAD
TM 15 SW
6/115 Leedes Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse. Core of c.1500, with major extensions of late C16 and C17 at
either end. 3-cell cross-passage entrance plan. 2 storeys. Timber-framed
and plastered. Plaintiled roofs; an axial early C17 chimney of red brick with
sawtooth shaft; another axial C19 chimney in rear wing. Small-pane casements
of early C20, those at ground storey with transomes. Early C20 half-glazed
panelled entrance door at cross-entry position. 2-bay open hall at centre of
house with some orignal features: arch-braced cambered tie-beam at open truss
with an octagonal 4-way solid braced crownpost. Close-studding. One blocked
hall window with square mullions. One altered 4-centred arched service room
doorway. A good quality parlour wing was added to right in c.1600: fine
close-studding, unmoulded joists, ovolo-mullioned windows, and a rear
staircase wing. The service wing was rebuilt C17 in cross-wing form: on-edge
floor joists, 2-tier clasped-purlin roof with wind-bracing; the open hall was
reroofed and an upper floor inserted. Early C17 fleur-de-lys, roses and other
motifs in ceilings of hall, parlour and one chamber.


Listing NGR: TM1441953104

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.