History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Shirburn Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Pyrton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6559 / 51°39'21"N

Longitude: -1.006 / 1°0'21"W

OS Eastings: 468861

OS Northings: 195698

OS Grid: SU688956

Mapcode National: GBR B1Y.4H1

Mapcode Global: VHDVT.JM1Z

Entry Name: Old Shirburn Vicarage

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284530

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248970

Location: Pyrton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Pyrton

Built-Up Area: Pyrton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Pyrton and Shirburn

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cuxham

Listing Text

PYRTON
SU6895
13/124 Old Shirburn Vicarage
18/07/63

GV II


Vicarage, now house. Datestone 1788, for Paul Blackall. Header bond grey brick
with red brick dressings; M-shaped half-hipped old tile roof; brick end and rear
lateral stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. Carved
brackets to originally pedimented doorcase: 4-panelled door with decorative
overlight. Gauged brick flat arches over tripartite sashes, except central blind
top-storey window with keystone. Red brick flush storey bands. Mid C19 canted
bay window to right and two 2-light leaded casements to rear. One-storey rear
service range of Flemish bond brick with gabled old tile roof and 4-light iron
casements with Gothick heads. Interior not inspected but likely to be of
interest. Built as "a very comfortable and modern erection", on the site of the
old rectory. It accommodated the vicars of Shirburn from 1885 to 1943.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, p.140; National Monuments Record, 1960/51-2 for
measured drawings of 1874).


Listing NGR: SU6886195698

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.