History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Angier's Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Wallingford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5969 / 51°35'48"N

Longitude: -1.1252 / 1°7'30"W

OS Eastings: 460690

OS Northings: 189038

OS Grid: SU606890

Mapcode National: GBR 911.Y1L

Mapcode Global: VHCYP.G404

Entry Name: Angier's Almshouses

Listing Date: 9 December 1949

Last Amended: 9 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284546

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249285

Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Wallingford

Built-Up Area: Wallingford

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Wallingford

Listing Text

WALLINGFORD READING ROAD
SU6089SE (East side)
Wallingford
11/120 Angler's Almshouses
09/12/49 (Formerly listed as Anglers
Almshouses)

II

Almshouses. Dated 1681 to datestone inscribed "This hospital was built and
endowed for ye reliefe of six poore people by Mr. William Angier and Mary his
sister, Anno Domini 1681". Mr. Francis Bunting further endowed it with a gift of
one thousand pounds. A.D. 1886" to first floor centre; early C19 windows and
alterations; late C20 additions to rear. Coursed squared limestone plinth;
roughcast, probably on limestone rubble; old plain-tile roof; brick ridge stacks
to left and right of centre, and to rear left and right. U-shaped plan with
cross-wings to rear. 2-storey, 4-window range. Ribbed and studded plank door
with stuccoed gabled porch having round archway with keystone, impost blocks and
plain surround. 3-light cast-iron casements with Gothick glazing bars and hood
moulds to all openings. Paired plank hatches to ground floor left and right of
centre. Cross-gables to left, right, and to centre. Ogee-topped datestone to
centre cross-gable. Carved Tudor roses to left and right cross-gables, and to
gable of porch. Interior not inspected.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.520-1).


Listing NGR: SU6069089038

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.