History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wheatley, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7476 / 51°44'51"N

Longitude: -1.1367 / 1°8'12"W

OS Eastings: 459696

OS Northings: 205790

OS Grid: SP596057

Mapcode National: GBR 8Z9.7G7

Mapcode Global: VHCXX.7BXL

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284661

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246960

Location: Wheatley, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX33

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Wheatley

Built-Up Area: Wheatley

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wheatley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Horspath

Listing Text

In the entry for;


SP 5905 WHEATLEY CHURCH ROAD
(north side)

7/193 Church of St Mary
18.7.63
GV II


the grade shall be amended to read; II* (star)

------------------------------------

WHEATLEY CHURCH ROAD
SP5905 (North side)
7/193 Church of St. Mary
18/07/63

GV II


Church. 1855-7 by G.E. Street. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings; plain-tile roof. 3-bay aisled nave, chancel with 2-bay north aisle,
west tower and south porch. C13 style. Chancel and aisles have grouped lancets
separated by buttresses with cusped circular windows over the lancets at the
ends of the south aisle. South porch, built 1887, has an outer arch in Decorated
style. West tower, completed by Street in 1868, has a broach spire with tall
2-light belfry openings in the gables and lucarnes on the angles. West doorway
of 3 chamfered orders below a 3-light window with plate tracery. Interior: Very
plain with arch-braced collar-truss roofs, except chancel which has a wagon roof
and carved capitals to aisle and east window. Stained glass of 1875 in east
widow. C19 fittings.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p,115; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
pp.837-8).


Listing NGR: SP5969605790

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.