This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1919 / 52°11'31"N
Longitude: 1.0217 / 1°1'18"E
OS Eastings: 606629
OS Northings: 259160
OS Grid: TM066591
Mapcode National: GBR TKZ.F46
Mapcode Global: VHKDP.N5GH
Entry Name: The Thatched Cottage
Listing Date: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284713
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280666
Location: Stowupland, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Stowupland
Built-Up Area: Stowupland
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Stowupland Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
STOWUPLAND MILL STREET
TM 05 NE
7/183 The Thatched Cottage
House, late C16 with alterations of early C19 and mid C20. Originally of 2-
cell plan. One storey and attics. Timber-framed and roughcast. Thatched
roof with two eyebrow casement dormers. An axial chimney, the shaft rebuilt
in C20 red brick. Mainly C20 casements. Mid C20 thatched gabled entrance
porch with panelled door. The house was built with a hall to left and service
cell to right, and has evidence for a wide timber-framed chimney between them.
The lintel to the left hand fireplace is large and wide, and has pegging
evidence of its former use in such a chimney. There is smoke-blackening at
the upper level in the chimney area (the present chimney was rebuilt c.1980).
Unchamfered 1st floor joists laid flat. Clasped purlin roof. A C19 clay lump
extension to right, and smaller pantiled extensions to left and right.
Included despite C20 alterations for interesting C16 framing.
Listing NGR: TM0662959160
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings