History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Loggia and Attached Balustrading and Steps 150 Metres West of Shrubland Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Coddenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1304 / 52°7'49"N

Longitude: 1.1027 / 1°6'9"E

OS Eastings: 612459

OS Northings: 252548

OS Grid: TM124525

Mapcode National: GBR TLV.HLR

Mapcode Global: VHLBD.2Q96

Entry Name: Lower Loggia and Attached Balustrading and Steps 150 Metres West of Shrubland Hall

Listing Date: 26 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284720

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279291

Location: Coddenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Coddenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Coddenham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

CODDENHAM SHRUBLAND PARK
TM 15 SW
7/42 Lower Loggia and attached
- balustrading and steps,
150m west of Shrubland
Hall
GV II*

Loggia, balustrading and steps. Circa 1850; a part of the landscaping works
by Sir Charles Barry for Sir W.F. Middleton, Bart. White limestone. The
loggia is in the form of a Roman temple:- 3 arches at front and rear are
supported on Tuscan columns; a single arch at each end, and set-forward
Corinthian columns at the end of each elevation. Flat roof with moulded
cornice; obelisk finials at corners. A short length of balustrading with
turned balusters links the temple to flights of steps on north and south
sides. Further balustrading is placed symmetrically on either side: running
eastwards for 9 metres, and then in diverging arcs of about 22m length, then
north and south for a further 35m each. The curved sections are terminated by
enriched urns, and each has a female statue at the centre. At the extreme
north and south ends of the feature, a large pair of enriched vases on drum
plinths stand beside a short flight of steps at the north, and a balcony seat
with limestone retaining wall at the south end. The whole feature forms a
foil to the Grand Stairs and is a major component of the landscaping works.
Included as Grade I in the register of Historic Gardens.


Listing NGR: TM1245952548

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.