This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6821 / 51°40'55"N
Longitude: -1.5058 / 1°30'20"W
OS Eastings: 434262
OS Northings: 198259
OS Grid: SU342982
Mapcode National: GBR 6WX.J3X
Mapcode Global: VHC0F.VZ9F
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 10 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250880
Location: Buckland, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Buckland
Built-Up Area: Buckland
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Gainfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BUCKLAND BUCKLAND PARK
2/51 Manor House
Manor House now house. c.1580 for the Yate family; converted c.1757 by Sir
Robert Throckmorton into Gothick style stables to Buckland House (q.v.). Squared
and coursed limestone ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Double-pile plan dates
from c.1757 conversion. 2 storeys; 9-bay elevation between polygonal corner
turrets. The crenellated parapet is carried in a shallow arch over the centre 3
projecting bays; pointed arch and two orders of engaged columns to high central
arch, with C20 double doors and overlights in a flat-headed moulded architrave.
Doorways in 2nd, 6th and 8th bays have roll-moulded pointed arches over late C19
stable doors with Y-tracery overlights. Pointed arches to 2-light Y-tracery
Gothick windows; 2 quatrefoil windows on the first floor flank the central
archway. Moulded plinth and string course; trefoil-headed and corbelled frieze
to moulded cornice; crenellated parapet. Polygonal towers at corners have
similar Gothick windows, those on the front retain their diamond-shaped leaded
panes and the blind side windows retain painted imitation latticing, the 3rd
storey of each tower has quatrefoil windows and is surmounted by a similar
cornice and parapet to the main range. Mid C18 rainwater goods. Gabled M-shaped
roof; internal stacks, gable end and ridge stacks to rear. Right side wall has a
5-window range of late C16 two-light stone mullioned and chamfered windows, a
mid C18 Gothick style 2-light window with leaded lights and two leaded
quatrefoil lights at the top; also a late C19 stable door with mid C18 chamfered
stone architrave with two overlights. The left side wall has scattered
fenestration of 4 similar late C16 windows, two of which have been blocked, a
mid C18 Gothick style 2-light window and a mid C18 six-panelled door flanked by
2 similar late C16 one-light windows. Each side wall has a parapet running from
the top of the polygonal corner tower towards the rear where the wall is gabled.
To the centre of the rear elevation is an Elizabethan 12-light canted bay window
of stone mullioned and transomed and ovolo-moulded lights, which is flanked by
similar 2-light windows. To left and right of this bay are mid C18 Gothick
windows with Y-tracery, some of which have been blocked.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.l06; A.S.N. Wright, The History of Buckland,
Listing NGR: SU3426298258
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings