History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Langham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2895 / 52°17'22"N

Longitude: 0.8992 / 0°53'57"E

OS Eastings: 597829

OS Northings: 269663

OS Grid: TL978696

Mapcode National: GBR SHB.D5R

Mapcode Global: VHKD1.JQR7

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 15 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284804

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281768

Location: Langham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Langham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Langham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Badwell Ash

Listing Text

TL 96 NE LANGHAM STOCK HILL

4/23 The old Rectory

II

Former parsonage house. Core of circa 1600, with later C17 early C19 and
early C20 extensions. Timber-framed, with timbers exposed on the right gable
end, render to the left gable end, and colour-washed brick front; extensions
to the rear also in brick, Plaintiles. 1 storey and attics. An internal
chimney-stack has 4 attached square shafts, set diagonally, with heavy
corbelled heads, on a moulded rectangular base. 2 large Edwardian gabled
dormers inserted on the front have moulded bargeboards, applied mock timbering
and casement windows with square leaded panes. On the ground floor, an early
C19 single-storey canted bay on the right has 3 full-length small-paned sash
windows in flush frames, and a tripartite slate roof. The remaining
fenestration is C20, random. Entrance doorway into the right rear wing;
Edwardian plank door with raised pilaster strips and bracketed flat pediment.
Plain studding exposed inside: frame falls into 3 sections, the oldest on
right, with a blocked original window on its inner wall; central section has
an ovolo-moulded main beam with scroll stops. Most of rear frame and roof cut
away during later extensions. Fine ground floor room on right with full
height panelling of c.1700 and bolection moulded fireplace surround with panel
above. Wall with string and ovolo-moulded surrounds to panels, cornice with
cymatum and corona.


Listing NGR: TL9782969663

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.