History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yaxley Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Yaxley, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3193 / 52°19'9"N

Longitude: 1.1161 / 1°6'57"E

OS Eastings: 612472

OS Northings: 273594

OS Grid: TM124735

Mapcode National: GBR TJK.F10

Mapcode Global: VHL9F.9YDX

Entry Name: Yaxley Hall

Listing Date: 14 June 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284876

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279603

Location: Yaxley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Yaxley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Yaxley St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Yaxley

Listing Text

YAXLEY HALL LANE (SOUTH SIDE)
TM 17 SW
3/147 Yaxley Hall
29.7.55
- II*

Country house. c1580 for W. Yaxley, earlier origins and C17 additions all for
Yaxley family. Part rebuilt 1772 for Rev. S. Leeke. Part demolished and
altered 1923, altered 1963 by Sir B. Spence for himself. Red brick part
cement rendered, some plastered timber frame to earlier sections. Steeply
pitched slate roofs. A complex plan: originally probably an E or half H with
2 further outer crosswings added in late C16, small additions to earlier 2 bay
cross wings in C16 and C17, main range replaced 1772 by a forward projecting
Gothick block, left wings demolished 1923 following a fire. The house now
appears as 3 builds, an C18 block with 2 earlier cross wings to right. 2
storeys with attics. C18 block to left has a 3 bay front: central entrance, a
glazing bar sash with opening panels below, doorcase with inner scrolled
architrave, outer pilasters with finely ornamented capitals, open dentilled
pediment. Plinth, rendered moulded string course at level of ground floor
window heads continued from earlier wings, thin glazing bar sashes in flush
moulded frames. First floor: central blocked opening had a Gothick ogee head,
flanking 2-light metal frame casements with ogee headed lights, upper cusped
lights with depressed arched heads, dentilled and embattled parapet. Central
on ridge an open timber cupola with a bell, cornice to leaded ogee cap with
weathervane. At right end a cross axial ridge stack, roof continues over.
first cross wing. Left gable end largely rebuilt 1923 with an entrance
towards front, reused early C19 double panelled doors, pilastered and open
pedimented doorcase, reused early red brick, soldier courses over C20 glazing
bar sashes, coped gable parapet swept down towards rear over a C20 6-light
leaded mullion and transom window with stained glass, slightly projecting C20
staircase addition with a similar 4-light window to rear. Main range to rear
has a 2-light leaded casement with a cambered head, C20 windows. Early cross
wing to front right was extended forward in C16 by 1 bay, now set back
slightly: plastered timber frame with 2 bays of thick glazing bar sashes,
flush moulded frames, moulded string course, a small 3-light attic window with
pointed arched lights, finialed bargeboarded gable, separate ridge to earlier
section behind front bay. Further right is c1580 brick wing, flush front,
cement rendered with scoring to resemble ashlar, continuing moulded string
course is part of hoodmould over ground floor 8-light mullion and transom
leaded window, first floor 8-light mullion and transom window enlarged in C18,
hexagonal leaded panes, slightly cambered head, projecting surround with a C19
cornice, in attic a blind 6-light opening with chamfered mullions and transom,
square surround with cornice to a pediment with 3 C19 finials, moulded
kneelers with C19 finials to shaped gable with lower concave curve, step to
upper convex curve. Left kneeler is higher over earlier cross wing. C19 stack
in valley between cross wings. Right return has exposed brick, English bond
with C19 and C20 repair, a large early external stack with an arched oven
recess to former bakehouse, repaired with double offsets to shaft, C20
openings on ground floor, moulded eaves cornice towards rear. Rear gable end
first floor 8-light mullion and transom window with leaded lights, original
rendered ovolo moulded mullions and transom, outer chamfer, kneelers to coped
gable parapet. Attached to rear a 1 storey outbuilding with a pantiled roof,
a pump attached to rear end. Earlier cross wing has a C17 section towards
rear, inner return has early C19 Gothick casement windows of 3 and 5-lights
with trefoiled heads, a similar C20 door, rear gable end ground floor pantiled
outshut, first floor similar 3-light casement and a tall sash, pentice board
to very steeply pitched gable. Interior: ground floor, between front and 2
early bays of first cross wing is a late C16 brick wall with a red brick
doorway, an almost round arch, double ovolo moulded with impost blocks, second
cross wing has a restored depressed arched fireplace with hollow and ovolo
mouldings. C18 block has a good drawing room, chimney piece with a lugged
architrave, finely moulded mantelpiece, corbelled Gothick cornice. Mid C18
staircase from Swattesfield Hall, Thornham (now demolished and not listed)
reset and altered 1923, turned balusters, capped newel posts, moulded ramped
handrail swept out at base. First floor: fragments of reset stained glass,
one with date 1583, bay added to front of early wing has an early scarf joint
and evidence of close studding, earlier roof to 2 bays behind has simple
coupled rafters and collars with no longitudinal members, added bays have butt
and clasped purlins. Large barrel vaulted room on first floor of late C16
cross wing with C20 plaster work in a C16 style by Sir B. Spence, crossed
strips with vine scrolls and birds. (East Anglian Miscellany, vol.4, 1910,
pp.36-58; Suffolk Archaeology, vol.XVI, 1918, pp1-28 and 135-66).


Listing NGR: TM1247273594

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.