This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6348 / 51°38'5"N
Longitude: -2.065 / 2°3'53"W
OS Eastings: 395599
OS Northings: 192892
OS Grid: ST955928
Mapcode National: GBR 2QG.DRD
Mapcode Global: VHB32.555L
Entry Name: Lychgate to the South West of Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 16 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284882
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315677
Location: Crudwell, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Crudwell
Built-Up Area: Crudwell
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Crudwell
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 99 SE CRUDWELL
3/55 Lychgate to the south-west of
16/7/87 Church of All Saints
Lychgate BY Frederick Charles Eden. Erected as a First World War memorial in 1918. Unveiled 6th November 1920 by General Sir Reginald Dyer.
Squared dressed stone to tapered piers, timber trusses arching up
from either side of piers to support pyramidal stone slate roof
with stone ball finial at apex. Close-set cobbles on floor
beneath roof, 2-leaf plank and open balustraded gates, deeply
projecting eaves to roof. Inscriptions to the dead on inner faces
of piers. The whole set within low walls of squared and coursed
dressed stone with cambered copings; attached churchyard walls of
thin-bedded rubble not included.
(Source:National Inventory of War Memorials at the Imperial War Memorial)
Listing NGR: ST9559992892
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 December 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings