History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Poplar Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brome and Oakley, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.357 / 52°21'25"N

Longitude: 1.1725 / 1°10'21"E

OS Eastings: 616132

OS Northings: 277949

OS Grid: TM161779

Mapcode National: GBR VKK.97R

Mapcode Global: VHL9G.80QZ

Entry Name: Poplar Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284932

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281079

Location: Brome and Oakley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Brome and Oakley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Brome St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Scole

Listing Text

OAKLEY LOWER OAKLEY
TM 17 NE
2/138 Poplar Farmhouse
29.7.55
II*
Farmhouse. Circa 1400 main range with late C16 cross-wing to left, forming T-
shape plan. Timber framed and plastered with a thatched roof. 2 storeys. A
3-cell open hall house of a rare single-ended Wealden form, with the solar end
jettied at first floor level to the front. The wallplate to the recessed
portion has embattled decoration below which is a hollow chamfer. C19
casement windows. C19 6-panelled raised and fielded door into the hall. 2
ridge stacks with rendered shafts. Original house in 4 bays: it seems likely
that the service end had no upper floor, and was built as a single open room
with a long hipped roof. Lower bay of open hall has remains of cross-entry
doorway; in the service partition is a beam with embattled ornament. Evidence
for diamond-mullioned hall windows. The open truss has a cambered tie beam
from which the arched braces have been removed. The roof is of raised-aisle
form, with jowled queen-posts arch-braced to arcade plates and collar; the
braces to the arcade plates are solid. The collar carries a central king-
post, which in turn has 2-way bracing to a ridge piece of deep-narrow section.
The combination of queen-posts and king post is very rare; there are other
examples at The Vicarage, Hoxne (Item 7/81) and Willow Farmhouse, Chippenhall
Green, Fressingfield. About one fifth of the original hall rafters remain,
together with the plastered lower gable end wall. All original components are
heavily sooted. Main stack built in upper end of hall in later C16. Also of
this date is the inserted floor, with closely-spaced plain joists, and a
partition screening the cross-passage. The cross-wing seems to have been
intended as a barn or granary: it now forms living accommodation and the frame
has been considerably altered.


Listing NGR: TM1613277949

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.