History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Dower House

A Grade II Listed Building in Coddenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1456 / 52°8'44"N

Longitude: 1.1172 / 1°7'1"E

OS Eastings: 613377

OS Northings: 254287

OS Grid: TM133542

Mapcode National: GBR TLP.F80

Mapcode Global: VHLBD.9BZH

Entry Name: The Old Dower House

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284940

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279265

Location: Coddenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Coddenham

Built-Up Area: Coddenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Coddenham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

CODDENHAM HIGH STREET
TM 1354
8/17 The Old Dower House
- (formerly listed with Gryffon
9-12-55 House as Crown Inn)
GV II

House, early or mid C16 with alterations of C18 and later. Part of the winter
house built for the Woodhouse family of nearby Crowfield Hall (see also Items
8/18 and 8/19). 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered on a high plinth of
tarred brick. Hipped plaintiled roof with gabled plaintiled dormers and an
axial chimney of red brick. Late C18 small-pane sashes. A slightly set-
forward block has a good early C18 staircase window with semi-circular head
and thick glazing bars. Late C18 or early C19 6-panelled entrance door with
flat cantilevered canopy. The front parlour is of unusually rhomboid plan to
give a frontage parallel with School Road. The range was originally jettied
on two consecutive sides. 1st floor joists and beams are well roll-moulded;
wide open fireplace with moulded lintel, above it being C17 moulded plaster
animal figures - one being a lion, the others badly disfigured. The chamber
above has moulded beams and beside the fireplace is an altered original
garderobe of brick. A small parlour has good and unusual C17 wall painting of
a repeated strapwork design in pink, which survives almost entirely on 3
walls. The external walls were raised and a new roof built in C18. An early
C18 staircase, remodelled or perhaps replicated in early C20. From 1603 to
1625, the house became the Gryffon Inn.


Listing NGR: TM1337754287

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.