History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Kings Arms Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Haughley, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2212 / 52°13'16"N

Longitude: 0.9658 / 0°57'56"E

OS Eastings: 602678

OS Northings: 262260

OS Grid: TM026622

Mapcode National: GBR SJ5.QZB

Mapcode Global: VHKDG.PFFJ

Entry Name: The Kings Arms Public House

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 15 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284984

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280582

Location: Haughley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Haughley

Built-Up Area: Haughley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Haughley The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Old Newton

Listing Text

HAUGHLEY OLD STREET (NORTH SIDE)
TM 0262

8/99 The King's Arms Public
- House
9/12/55 (formerly listed as the
GV II Kings Arms)

Public house: mid C16 core to main 3-window range with C18 alterations.
Crosswing of early C14 to left, extended rearwards in C15 or early C16. Two
storeys. Timber-framed and plastered. Concrete plaintiled roof with C19
pierced crested ridge tiles. An axial C16 chimney of pink/buff bricks, the
upper shaft rebuilt in C19 red brick. Late C19 mullioned and transomed small-
pane casements at ground storey, and smaller earlier C19 casements above. C19
4-panelled door at lobby-entrance position. The 2-bay cross-wing has rare
but characteristic early C14 carpentry: the walls have widely-spaced studwork
with wide plank tension braces at some points, and square-sectioned straight
or slightly curved primary arch braces in others. The open truss has a
cambered tie-beam with chamfered square-sectioned archbraces. Evidence for a
crownpost roof, removed by mid C20. Heavy 1st floor joists, lodged over a
central binding beam. The wing was extended rearwards by about 3 bays in C15
or early C16 with close-studding and heavy unchamfered floor joists. The rear
bay was largely rebuilt c.1700 with a hipped butt-purlin roof. The main range
has a ceiling with roll-moulded joists of c.1550. Mid C16 work in the bar to
right includes unmoulded framing and a wide lintelled open fireplace. A C17
newel staircase has a balustrade with serpentine splat balusters. In C18, the
walls of the main range were raised and the roof was rebuilt. N.M.R.


Listing NGR: TM0267862260

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.