History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Windmill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Herstmonceux, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8854 / 50°53'7"N

Longitude: 0.3402 / 0°20'24"E

OS Eastings: 564706

OS Northings: 112154

OS Grid: TQ647121

Mapcode National: GBR NV9.GTC

Mapcode Global: FRA C6LR.QCM

Entry Name: The Windmill

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Last Amended: 6 December 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285093

English Heritage Legacy ID: 295374

Location: Herstmonceux, Wealden, East Sussex, BN27

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Herstmonceux

Built-Up Area: Windmill Hill

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Herstmonceux All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Herstmonceux

Listing Text

HERSTMONCEUX WINDMILL HILL
TQ 6412

37/389 Windmill Hill Windmill

13.10.52 II

The entry shall be amended to read;

TQ 6412 HERSTMONCEUX WINDMILL LANE
(north side) Windmill Hill
37/389
The Windmill
13.10.52
II* (star)


Post type windmill. Built c1814 by the Lewes mill-wright,
Medhurst. It is the largest postmill in the country as regards
body size, with a basic floor area of 21' 3"x 12' 3" plus 1'
6" projection on the windward face, at 48ft the tallest
windmill in Sussex and the last remaining mill in England to
possess the remains of a centrifugal governor system for
controlling the sail area, though at the time of inspection
this had been removed for safekeeping elsewhere. It comprises
a 2 storey tarred Flemish bond brickwork roundhouse with sash
windows and a 3 storey timber-framed body with ogee head clad
in weatherbording and further clad in sheet iron on the
weather sides. Most of the ladder and part of the tailpiece
survives but the sails are missing. The roundhouse contains on
the ground floor the bases of 4 brick piers supporting the
main post and trestle on the first floor and a heavily joisted
ceiling. The first floor has the crosstrees, quarterbars and
main post carved with the date 1856 and bins for steam driven
stones built on the quarterbars. The body bottom floor has the
upper part of the main post supporting the crowntreee, an
oscillating sieve grader and the bottom of the wire cylinder
flour dresser, a wire cylinder grain cleaner and extractor
fan, the complete tentering gear and governor to tail
millstones, part of the tentering gear to the head stones,
part of the meal bins and the horse to the millstone tun. The
body first floor has the cast iron windshaft carrying the
brake wheel and tailwheel, the tail millstones (bedstones in
place, runner stone resting on crowntree), driving quants and
bevel pinions to both sets of stones, wire cylinder flour
dressing machine and driving gears fairly complete and
transverse shaft with pinion and pulley for driving the flour
dresser from the brake wheel. The body second floor contains
the top of the brake wheel with pinion and pulley to drive the
sack hoist, the sack hoist bollard and pulley, various bins to
feed the millstones and flour dresser and part of the
centrifugal governor system for sail regulation. This mill
never had a tailpole but was turned to the wind by pushing the
body round manually using the tailpole. It ceased turning in
1893 when steam-driven stones were set up in the roundhouse.

------------------------------------

HERSTMONCEUX WINDMILL HILL
1.
5208
Windmill Hill Windmill
TQ 6412 37/389 13.10.52

II


2.
Post type. Probably late C18. Built by the Lewes mill-wright, Medhurst,
and said to have been the largest post mill in Sussex. Two storeyed roundhouse
of tarred brick. The mill itself is covered with sheets of metal, now very
rusty. Sweeps and fantail missing. Machinery said to be intact.


Listing NGR: TQ6470612154

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.