This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5332 / 51°31'59"N
Longitude: -0.4597 / 0°27'34"W
OS Eastings: 506935
OS Northings: 182717
OS Grid: TQ069827
Mapcode National: GBR 20.2SN
Mapcode Global: VHFT4.ZQBH
Entry Name: Bishopshalt Grammar School (North Wing)
Listing Date: 6 September 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285095
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202954
Location: Hillingdon, London, UB8
Electoral Ward/Division: Brunel
Built-Up Area: Hillingdon
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Hillingdon St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: London
5018 ROYAL LANE
Bishopshalt Grammar School
TQ 0682 23/387 (North Wing)
1858. Tudor style 5-bay building with slightly later 3-bay extension to south.
2 storeys and attic, newer part taller. Many-gabled front. Red brick with
gable copings in several planes. Plain stone window dressings. Projecting
2-storey bay at left, and 1-storey bay at right, with pierced strapwork parapet.
Similar parapet to glazed porch and to parapet of centre bay in left section.
Slated roof with tall chimneys. Bell cupola on ridge above centrepiece.
At back of houe a conservatory, a long glass building with round bowed projection
off-centre, Rounded roof with raised centre. Building articulated by narrow
fluted iron columns. Arabesques in spandrels and in blocking course above
wood cornice. Full height panels between have margin lights and shallow pointed
arches. French doors with shouldered arches in bow. Inside, fixed benches
on iron twisted supports and ornamental conduit grilles. At the back a stained
glass window with the initials of the owner, Stephen Martin, of Day and
Martin's blacking warehouse mentioned in "David Copperfield."
Listing NGR: TQ0693582717
Other nearby listed buildings