History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Thornham Magna, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3043 / 52°18'15"N

Longitude: 1.0827 / 1°4'57"E

OS Eastings: 610266

OS Northings: 271833

OS Grid: TM102718

Mapcode National: GBR TJP.JK3

Mapcode Global: VHL9L.QB7V

Entry Name: The Stables

Listing Date: 14 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285123

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279540

Location: Thornham Magna, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Thornham Magna

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Thornham Magna St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Mellis

Listing Text

THORNHAM MAGNA THORNHAM PARK
TM 17 SW
3/84 Nos. 1 to 5 (inclusive) The
- Stables

GV II

Former stable block to Thornham Hall (not listed), now 5 dwellings and sheds.
1837-8 by S. Smirke for the 4th Lord Henniker, altered C20. Red brick with
rendered and ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Three sides of a quadrangular
block in a Jacobean style. 1 storey with attics. 5 bay front: centre
projects with a rusticated arch and quoining, 2 small upper lights with
glazing bars, cornice to pyramidal roof splayed at base, timber turret with
cornice to a leaded pyramidal pinnacle with ball and weathervane finials.
Flanking bays have plinths, dual glazing bar casements with rendered lintels,
relieving arches, stone coped parapets. Outer bays have shaped gables, convex
curves with steps, ball finials, ground floor dual and attic single glazing
bar casements, all recessed. Right return has to rear of centre a gauged
brick arch with stone impost blocks, scattered casements. Left return altered
with later additions. Inside yard each arm has a rusticated arch, under stone
coped gables on returns, arch to left is blocked, scattered casements and
gabled dormers. Interior not inspected. (H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary,
1978; H.R Barker, East Suffolk Illustrated, 1908-9, p. 474).


Listing NGR: TM1026671833

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.