This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3475 / 51°20'50"N
Longitude: -2.2897 / 2°17'22"W
OS Eastings: 379918
OS Northings: 160973
OS Grid: ST799609
Mapcode National: GBR 0QZ.HXX
Mapcode Global: VH96V.8DCC
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 13 November 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285144
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314782
Location: Winsley, Wiltshire, BA15
Civil Parish: Winsley
Built-Up Area: Winsley
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Winsley St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 76 SE WINSLEY WINSLEY VILLAGE
3/334 Church of St Nicholas
Anglican parish church with C15 tower, the rest rebuilt 1841 by
R.S. Pope of Bristol. Ashlar with slate roofs, coped gables and
finials. Almost detached three-stage saddleback-gabled tower,
formerly at west end of medieval church, now attached by short link
to south west angle of new church. Diagonal buttresses, plinth,
string courses, cornice with gargoyles and gabled parapet. Two-
light bell-openings each side except south which has canted stair
tower reaching into gable. Three-light west window, Perpendicular
style. East side, refaced with pointed door and numerous re-sited
plaques. Shafted wave/hollow moulded tower arch blocked within.
North side link has open pointed archway below an enclosed passage
with lancet each side. 1841 church has plinth, diagonal
buttresses, moulded parapet, short chancel and large south porch.
West end is treated as for a nave-and-aisles plan: slightly
advanced centre with 3-light window and single lancets each side.
Three-window nave of large pointed Perpendicular style 2-light
windows with leaded lights and hoodmoulds. Porch is heavily coped
with finial and moulded pointed arch. Heavily moulded arch to
south door within, both arches with double panelled doors. Chancel
has gutter on corbels instead of parapet and 3-light east window.
Interior: aisleless with 6-bay roof, timber trusses with some
cusping and iron tie-rods, plain west gallery. Plain chancel arch.
Chancel has mid C19 encaustic paving extended out into nave with
stone rail and High Victorian style timber pulpit on stone base.
East window has Gothic panels flanking with Commandments painted
and c1924 stained glass. C15 panelled octagonal stone font.
(N. Pevsner Wiltshire 1975 589)
Listing NGR: ST7991860973
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings