This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3 / 52°17'59"N
Longitude: 1.0763 / 1°4'34"E
OS Eastings: 609852
OS Northings: 271327
OS Grid: TM098713
Mapcode National: GBR TJP.WDX
Mapcode Global: VHL9L.LGV6
Entry Name: Laundry Cottage
Listing Date: 14 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285166
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279529
Location: Thornham Magna, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Thornham Magna
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Thornham Magna St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
THORNHAM MAGNA LAUNDRY LANE (EAST SIDE)
TM 07 SE
2/73 Laundry Cottage
House. c.1500, floor inserted and extended or part rebuilt c.1600, raised
late C17, extended or part rebuilt C19, altered C20. Timber frame, plastered.
Steeply pitched glazed pantiled roof. Brick and red pantiled additions. A
small 2 bay open hall with parlour and stack added, possibly replacing an
upper cross wing; raised to appear as a 3 cell lobby entry plan, C19 service
bay replaces earlier service end. 2 storeys and attics. C19 lobby entrance
to left of centre in a C20 gabled porch, C20 3-light glazing bar casements,
first floor C19 hoodmoulds. Rebuilt ridge stack between hall and parlour to
left of centre. Left end attic 5-light diamond mullioned window, pentice
boards, exposed plates and purlins. On right end is a lower 2 storey C19
service bay above which are exposed plates and purlins and an attic light. To
rear an added continuous lean-to outshut, red pantiles, a central C20 gabled
projection, above lean-to a restored 5-light diamond mullioned window.
Interior: screens passage retains parts of 4 centred arched door heads, 2
doorways to service end originally, hall has exposed straight bracing halved
over studs, inserted ogee stop chamfered cross axial binding beam and joists,
parts remain of original tall 6-light diamond mullioned hall windows, 2-light
opening over screens passage, arched bracing in walls, original open truss has
chamfered arched braces to a cut cambered tie beam with a crown post mortice,
upper end of hall has fragmentary sections of timber suggesting an original
cross wing, C17 roof has collars and halved principals clasping purlins.
Parlour has close studding, stop chamfered axial binding beam, joists and mid-
rail, first floor straight arched bracing in walls, stop chamfered cross axial
binding beam, 2-light diamond mullioned window opening in stack bay, lower
butt purlins and upper collars to clasped purlins with straight windbraces.
Listing NGR: TM0985171325
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings