This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1076 / 52°6'27"N
Longitude: 0.7964 / 0°47'46"E
OS Eastings: 591594
OS Northings: 249167
OS Grid: TL915491
Mapcode National: GBR RHZ.XV3
Mapcode Global: VHKDY.R9C4
Entry Name: Swan Hotel
Listing Date: 23 January 1958
Last Amended: 10 July 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 276748
Location: Lavenham, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10
Civil Parish: Lavenham
Built-Up Area: Lavenham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Lavenham St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
LAVENHAM LADY STREET
The Old Wool Hall)
[formerly listed as
The Old Wool Hall
(The Railway Convalescent
TL 9149 50/597 23.1.58
A fine C15 hall house with cross wings on the north and south ends.
Roof tiled. Considerably, but well, restored and now incorporated into
the Swan Hotel. Originally it was the hall of Our Lady's Guild and was
converted into a Wool Hall in the late C17. In 1911 the whole building
was dismantled and later re-erected by the Duchess of Argyll. Two storeys.
All the timber-framing is exposed except on parts of the north and west
extensions. The cross wings are jettied on the upper storeys on exposed
joists, curved brackets with carved capitals and shafts and a carved
bressumer. The south cross wine is also jettied on the south front and
there is the remains of a fine carved corner post on the south corner.
The central hall is open to the roof and has tall 6-light oak mullioned
windows. All the windows are leaded casements of various sizes, some
with oak mullions. There is a C17 chimney stack with sawtooth shafting
(restored) on the north extension. The first part of the west extension
originally had a jettied upper story which was underbuilt in brick in
1793 (date panel). The interior has been well restored with a number
of original features.
Listing NGR: TL9159449167
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings