This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.637 / 51°38'13"N
Longitude: -1.183 / 1°10'58"W
OS Eastings: 456638
OS Northings: 193449
OS Grid: SU566934
Mapcode National: GBR 90L.7QM
Mapcode Global: VHCYG.F3YX
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 14 June 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285238
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248672
Location: Little Wittenham, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Little Wittenham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Long Wittenham with Little Wittenham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
LITTLE WITTENHAM MAIN STREET
SU5693 (West side)
10/59 Church of St. Peter
Church. C14 tower, rest of church rebuilt by Charles Buckeridge c.1863.
Uncoursed squared limestone with stone dressings, old plain-tile roof; stone end
stack to vestry. 3-bay nave, chancel, vestry and west tower. Early English
style. Gabled stone porch to centre of nave with 2-centred archway on
foliate-capped columns. 2-centre arched doorway with plank door. Plate tracery
windows to nave, cusped plate tracery windows to chancel. Tower to left with
octagonal stair turret, 2-light window of reticulated tracery to left return,
cross-slits to rear and left return. 2-light louvred openings of reticulated
tracery to top stage. Battlemented parapet. Interior: C19 stained glass window
by Clayton and Bell. Sedilia and piscina to right of marble reredos. Recessed
altar tomb of c.1483 to Geoffrey Kidwelly to left with shields to panels of
altar base and brass to top; quatrefoil carving to recess with cusped tudor arch
and buttress-shafts. Good collection of monuments and brasses to tower:
alabaster monument to Sir William Dunch and family, of 2 effigies, she
recumbent, he on his side with his head on his arm, obelisks to each end. Good
brasses to Dunch and Winchcombe families. C19 fittings including pews and choir
stalls with wrought-iron candelabra, stone pulpit, and font with pinnacled wood
cover. Scissor-braced roofs to both nave and chancel.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol IV, 1924, p.383-4; Buildings of England: Berkshire,
Listing NGR: SU5663893449
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings