This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3012 / 51°18'4"N
Longitude: -1.6584 / 1°39'30"W
OS Eastings: 423913
OS Northings: 155840
OS Grid: SU239558
Mapcode National: GBR 601.7KD
Mapcode Global: VHC29.6KNC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285324
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312359
Location: Collingbourne Kingston, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Collingbourne Kingston
Built-Up Area: Collingbourne Kingston
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
COLLINGBOURNE KINGSTON A338
SU 25 NW
4/152 Church of St Mary
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1861 by Colson.
Flint with dispersed greensand and some sarsen. West tower
rendered, with limestone buttresses and dressings, slate roofs but
tiled to chancel. Nave with late C13 chancel, north and south
aisles. C15 south porch. Aisles have C19 square headed windows,
and C19 varied cinquefoiled lights to clerestorey of nave. Chancel
has Y-tracery, 2-light to sides, and tall 3-light to east. Blocked
late C13 window at east end of south side. South priest's door.
Tower of 3 stages, angle buttresses. Four centred west door with
quatrefoils in spandrels and shields to dropped ends of label.
Three-light window with panelled tracery over and 3-light louvred
openings to bell stage. Crenellated parapet with crowned
pinnacles. Porch has outer door framed in small buttresses and a
crenellated string. Inscribed stone in low pitched gable. Four
centred inner door with casement mouldings and square head. Corbel
over. Two mass dials on south-east nave quoins, one square.
Interior: C12 nave, probably originally shorter, and chancel.
North aisle added late C12, nave lengthened and south aisle added
early C13 and chancel rebuilt in late C13, leaving blank north
wall of extension, later opened up with wide arch extending aisle
in C14. Nave north arcade of 2 bays; double chamfered pointed
arched on round columns with late C12 octagonal abaci. Wide east
arch. South arcade of 4 bays, early C13, double chamfered arches
on round columns and round abaci. North wall has external corbel
table under roof of aisle, south wall probably rebuilt when aisle
added, and both walls raised in C18 to give clerestorey, remodelled
C19. C19 roof of 6 bays. King post and strut trusses. Narrow
tall tower arch. C19 chancel arch in classic C13 style, with
Purbeck nook shafts. North aisle has western lancet and north
door. C19 roofs to both aisles. Chancel wide, but C19 open timber
roof with tie-beam truss. No piscina or aumbrey. Fittings: Font,
at west end, C19 Bath stone. Octagonal. Pulpit, choir stalls and
communion rail all C19. Monuments: In chancel, south side:
a) A large monument of 1646. Painted stone. Two bays of
Corinthian columns with entablature supporting coffered barrel
vault. Attic storey of lesser Corinthian columns and framed
inscription. Square crest bearing mantled arms and scroll
supports. Lower bays at east and west ends with raised parapets
over the lower storey cornice, and supporting oval shields.
Within a sarcophagus with effigies of Thomas Pile de Bufton and
wife Elizabeth,, in dress armour and ruffs. Two kneeling male
offspring at side, and in the west bay, kneeling life-size figures
of Sir Gabriel Pile and wife, Anne Porter, c1620.
b) North side: monument carried on arch across corner of
chancel. A sarcophagus with bust on pedestal over, against
pyramidal field. Cornice and apron below with inscription to
Edward Richards of Compton, Berks, died 1728.
c) Recessed wall monument. An aedicule of coloured marbles.
Arch with broken pediment, shield above, and death's head on
corner. Apron with inscription to Gertrude Pile, died 1630.
Kneeling figure in front of reading desk. Also two floor slabs to
Richards family of 'Insula Victis', 1677 and 2 others.
d) Alabaster on black marble. To Herbert Gibson, died 1920, and
In nave: wall tablet, white marble on grey, to Harriet Sheppard,
died 1845 and a second, similar, to William Sheppard, died 1838,
and others. In north aisle: a wall monument, painted limestone
with moulded frame. Long inscription to Elizabeth Parsons, and
Ann, died 1620.
Brasses: below carpet, a brass to Joan Darell, 1495, her spouse
removed. Glass: east window by H. Hughes, 1865. East window of
north aisle signed HW.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire, Leete-Hodge, Brasses
of Wiltshire, (1977), p.13.)
Listing NGR: SU2391355840
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings