History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Crowell, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6911 / 51°41'27"N

Longitude: -0.925 / 0°55'30"W

OS Eastings: 474401

OS Northings: 199692

OS Grid: SU744996

Mapcode National: GBR C2T.T4R

Mapcode Global: VHDVN.XRBH

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285359

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249090

Location: Crowell, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX39

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Crowell

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Chinnor, Sydenham, Aston and Crowell

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Crowell

Listing Text

CROWELL CHINNOR ROAD
SU7499 (South side)
20/76 Church of St. Mary
18/07/63

GV II

Church. c.1878, incorporating some earlier work. By H.J. Tollit of Oxford and
Edwin Dolby of London. Knapped flint with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof;
stone bellcote. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, with vestry. Porch to left of nave
with 2-centred archway and gabled old plain-tile roof; C13 two-centre arched
doorway with hood mould, having C19 plank door. 3-light reticulated tracery
window to nave right. 2-light reticulated tracery windows to chancel. Rear:
Romanesque round-arched doorway with moulded imposts and hood mould, having
plank door, to centre of nave. 3-light reticulated tracery window to right.
Catslide roof to vestry to left. 2-light reticulated tracery windows to chancel.
East end: 3-light reticulated tracery window. West end. 2-light reticulated
tracery window, stone bellcote to gable apex. Interior: wood barrel-vault roof
to chancel; arch-braced collar-truss roof to nave. East window c.1870 by Kempe.
C19 stone carved reredos. Sedilia formed from lancet tracery. C13 brass reset to
left wall of chancel. C19 stone font.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.560-1; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire,
Vol.VIII, 1964, p.89-90).


Listing NGR: SU7440199692

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.