History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hill Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Felsham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1786 / 52°10'43"N

Longitude: 0.8652 / 0°51'54"E

OS Eastings: 595992

OS Northings: 257244

OS Grid: TL959572

Mapcode National: GBR RH9.9KJ

Mapcode Global: VHKDL.YH7Q

Entry Name: Hill Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285436

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280789

Location: Felsham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Felsham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Felsham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Rattlesden

Listing Text

The following building shall be upgraded to II*:-

FELSHAM -
TL 95 NE
Hill Farmhouse
3/36
- 15.11.54 II
and the entry shall be amended to read:
TL 95 NE FELSHAM -
3/36 Hill Farmhouse
- 15.ll.54 II*
House, former farmhouse. Early C16 cross-wing, mid C16 hall range.
Timber-framed, with some timbers exposed, but mainly plastered, with
traces of simple pargetting. Gable-ended plaintiled roofs. 2 storeys
and attics; hall-range-and-cross-wing plan, with both ranges jettied.
A large internal chimney-stack to the cross-wing with 4 moulded
attached octagonal shafts on a rectangular base; a small internal
stack to the hall range with a single similar shaft. Plan: Main 2-
storey hall range to right (now divided into 2 rooms) without a
service end, is probably a rebuilding of an earlier hall. Large 2-
storey cross-wing on left, of 2 rooms deep, is earlier than the extant
hall range. An axial stack with back-to-back fireplaces was inserted
circa 1600 into the cross-wing, but must have replaced an earlier
stack. Exterior: Cross-wing to left has exposed studding on the ground
storey of the east front; jetty supported on brackets, with the
remains of carved capitals and moulded shafts down the front of the
posts, and the joist-ends tenoned into a bressummer. 2 original 5-
light outer windows with moulded mullions flank a larger blocked
central window. On the upper storey there is a similar window
arrangement, with the centre replaced by a 3-light C19 casement window
and the side-lights continued round to the north and south sides. On
the south side the row of lights was extended in matching style at a
slightly later date up to the chimney-stack, although now partly
interrupted by an inserted C20 casement window. Overhanging tie-beam
with folded-leaf carving; a 4-light diamond-mullioned window in the
apex of the gable. The hall range on right is jettied along the east
side and has a small section of exposed studding to the ground storey.
The jetty treatment is similar to that in the cross-wing. A C20 mock-
timber entrance porch is flanked by 2 windows on each side: a 4-light
and a 5-light window with mullions moulded in different styles, a C20
standard casement window and a curious small-paned window on the
extreme right with a 4-centred arched head. Most remaining windows in
the house are 2-light and 3-light C19 casements, but 2 sash windows
with vertical glazing bars are in the rear ground storey of the cross-
wing. The rear walls were damaged during the last War, and no early
features remain. Interior: Cross-wing has a complete frame along the
north side where it adjoins the hall range. In 4 bays, divided
initially into 2 apparently unheated 2-bay rooms. A chimney-stack with
2 back-to-back hearths on the ground and first storeys was
subsequently inserted into the third bay from the east, the partition
wall was removed, and the jambs of 2 doorways were incorporated into
the brickwork of the stack. The main ceiling beams, with a double
roll-moulding and run-off stops, are exposed in both ground-storey
rooms. The front upper room has exposed studding and moulded joists
of the ceiling are concealed by later plaster. Many of the timbers,
including the fireplace lintel, have traces of red ochre colouring.
The attics are floored with wide old boards. The hall range is in 2
bays, and there are only the main components of the frame which abuts
on the north wall of the cross-wing. There is a gap of about 12in
between the two frames. A blocked secondary doorway in the wall of the
wing gave access to the rear room, at one time used as a kitchen. The
ground-storey ceiling has exposed joists with single roll-mouldings
and main beams with double roll-mouldings and leaf stops. This range
was later divided into two single-bay rooms, and a small chimney-stack
was inserted between them with a shaft in imitation of the main stack.
There is no surviving indication of original heating in this part of
the house. On the ground storey the studding of the north wall was
removed in the C18 and a lean-to added. Indications that this wall
contained a doorway suggest that there may have been a further service
bay which the lean-to replaced. Roofs over both ranges are in similar
style, with clasped purlins and windbraces, and with extensive later
strengthening.

------------------------------------

FELSHAM
TL 95 NE
3/36 Hill Farmhouse
-
15.11.54
- II
Former farmhouse. Built in two stages: a hall range of c.1530 and a parlour
crosswing of c.1550. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered; the hall range
is long-wall jettied at 1st floor, and the crosswing is end-jettied, with a
further jetty at the gable tiebeam above. A fascia-bressummer is moulded and
is supported by brackets with pilaster shafts. Some close-studding is exposed
at ground storey. Plaintiled roofs. An axial early C17 chimney of red brick
in the crosswing has 4 octagonal flues on moulded bases, and set in line. A
single octagonal chimney in the hall range is probably a C19 reproduction.
C19 small-pane casements. C20 gabled plaintiled entrance porch with boarded
door. Several roll-and-cavetto moulded mullions of C16 are exposed and
glazed. To right is the original front cross-entry doorway, blocked, with a
'shallow carved 4-centred arched head. All ground storey rooms have moulded
main beams, and the hall also has heavy moulded 1st floor joists. The front
parlour and chamber above have extensive ranges of moulded mullioned windows.
Back-to-back lintelled open fireplaces in the parlours were inserted in
c.1600. There was probably a C16 service cell to right, which was demolished
when the present lean-to extension was added.


Listing NGR: TL9599257244

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.