History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pond Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Tattingstone, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9895 / 51°59'22"N

Longitude: 1.1115 / 1°6'41"E

OS Eastings: 613730

OS Northings: 236915

OS Grid: TM137369

Mapcode National: GBR TNL.CSB

Mapcode Global: VHLC5.68Y4

Entry Name: Pond Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 30 October 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285484

English Heritage Legacy ID: 278884

Location: Tattingstone, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Tattingstone

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Tattingstone St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bentley

Listing Text

TM 13 NW TATTINGSTONE CHURCH ROAD (WEST SIDE)
4/109
Pond Hall Farmhouse

II

House. C14/C15 or earlier with later alterations and additions. Timber framed
and plastered. Red plain tiled roofs. Ridge chimney stack to left crosswing,
off centre left stack to hall. Hall house with crosswing to left and later
crosswing to right, C20 outshot porch and hall to right of left crosswing. There
is a stair turret to rear of this outshot. The roof continues down to ground
floor to right of the central hall. 2 storeys 1:2:1 window range of C20
vari-light leaded casements. There is a single storey lean-to extension to rear
of left return and rising from it a buttress supporting a parapet which appears
to support the attached shaft chimney stack. Interior:- Of complex plan, the
left crosswing has halved wall braces, there could possibly have been a very
early single storey building with arched braces to tie beam, with a later roof
raise to its present 2 storey height, there are arched braces to a steeply
cambered tie beam, the roof above not seen at time of re-survey. The plaster on
the inner rear wall of this crosswing has 2 pairs of incised crossed keys and
several roundels, also a 2-centred arch was said to be visible through the
plaster prior to recent repainting. The central hall is open to ceiling above
the modern staircase and has a 4 arm cross quadrant crown post with the base
splayed between the angles, circa 1370-1450, resting on a cambered tie beam. The
right crosswing and outshot have mainly C18 features visible, excepting jowled
storey posts and a heavy chamfered bridging joist. The walls to kitchen, larder
and stairs are all of C18 beaded boards and there are some C18 vertically boarded
doors with ironmongery. Details of rear room are covered by C20 decoration.


Listing NGR: TM1373036915

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.