This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9926 / 51°59'33"N
Longitude: 1.1094 / 1°6'33"E
OS Eastings: 613572
OS Northings: 237248
OS Grid: TM135372
Mapcode National: GBR TNL.58Z
Mapcode Global: VHLC5.55VT
Entry Name: St Mary's Hospital
Listing Date: 30 October 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285485
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278887
Location: Tattingstone, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9
Civil Parish: Tattingstone
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Tattingstone St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 13 NW TATTINGSTONE CHURCH ROAD (NORTH
St Mary's Hospital
Hospital, originally built c.1766 as the Samford Hundred Incorporated House of
Industry at a cost of £8250 for the accommodation of 500 paupers under Gilbert's
Act 1764. Alterations were made in 1819 and 1837 for the better classification
of inmates. Converted into a hospital C20. Red brick. Red plain tiled roofs,
hipped at ends and angles. E plan with 2 back (northern) ranges separated by a
carriageway with entrance from the north west. The central forward range is
lower and apsed and was built later as a chapel. 2 storeys and attics, the
forward left and right (east and west) ranges lower. Moulded eaves cornices.
End chimneys to rear range (southern). The original window plan has been altered
and there are now C20 flat-head dormers and various C20 metal casements to each
range with some C18 and C19 small paned vertically sliding sashes. The courtyard
faces appear to have been of 12 x 1 bays to left and right and possibly 13 bays
to rear range with a 4 x 3 bay central chapel. From the centre of the northern
rear range rises a timber framed and weatherboarded bell turret with pointed
hipped roof, moulded brackets to eaves cornice. A C20 facade has been added to
the south face of the eastern range. 28 parishes were incorporated for the
maintenance of their poor under Gilbert's Act in 1764, many of whom were employed
in spinning worsted yarn for the Norwich Manufacturers. The number in the house
in 1821 was 319 and in 1841, 191. White's. Directory of Suffolk 1844.
N Pevsner Suffolk 1974.
Listing NGR: TM1357237248
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings