History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Denham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2266 / 52°13'35"N

Longitude: 0.5694 / 0°34'9"E

OS Eastings: 575585

OS Northings: 261823

OS Grid: TL755618

Mapcode National: GBR PCP.6T4

Mapcode Global: VHJGS.T9CF

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285509

English Heritage Legacy ID: 283730

Location: Denham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Denham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Denham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Hargrave

Listing Text

TL 76 SE DENHAM BARROW ROAD

5/23 CHURCH OF ST MARY
14.7.55

-
II*


Church; mediaeval with c.1605 chapel; restored 1846. Nave, chancel, north
chapel, south porch, west tower. Flint rubble (1846 work faced in rounded
flints), chapel red brick; limestone quoins and dressings, parapet gables with
kneelers. Plaintiled roof. Nave has unmoulded arched Norman north doorway,
blocked C19: C19 lancet and 2-light perpendicular-style windows in south wall.
C19 South doorway and parapet gabled porch. Tower, 1846 in early perpendicular
style with crenellated parapets and 3-light west window. Chancel has mid C14
2-light cusped east window; smaller similar south window restored 1846. Roof
rebuilt 1846 over nave, chancel and chapel ; pine scissor trusses with butt
purlins and boarded soffits with square applied panels and crenellated cornice;
the trusses sit on limestone carved grotesque corbels -
mediaeval or well-copied in C19 from original patterns. C19 benches, organ and
octagonal pulpit. Mediaeval limestone octagonal font on octagonal shaft and
base; unmoulded, possibly C13 or C14. Early C17 oak panelling in sanctuary
with original painted floral decoration; said to be taken from Denham Hall. In
the Chapel (almost rebuilt C19), a large canopied table monument to Sir Edward
Lewkenor and Susan his wife who both died 1605 of smallpox; kneeling effigies of
both, with 8 children; canopy has obelisks and strapwork, supported on
Corinthian columns. Another monument to grandson Sir Edward Lewkenor, (died
1634, also of smallpox) a marble tomb by S. and M. Christmas with recumbent
effigy in armour.


Listing NGR: TL7558561823

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.