History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Southwick and North Bradley Scout Headquarters the Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwick, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2977 / 51°17'51"N

Longitude: -2.2334 / 2°14'0"W

OS Eastings: 383820

OS Northings: 155417

OS Grid: ST838554

Mapcode National: GBR 1SZ.L5H

Mapcode Global: VH972.7NM2

Entry Name: Southwick and North Bradley Scout Headquarters the Old School House

Listing Date: 14 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 314599

Location: Southwick, Wiltshire, BA14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Southwick

Built-Up Area: Southwick (Wiltshire)

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: North Bradley, Southwick and Heywood

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Wingfield

Listing Text

ST 85 NW SOUTHWICK FROME ROAD
(north side)


6/153 The Old School House and Southwick
and North Bradley Scout Headquarters

GV II


National school with school teacher's house, now semi-detached
house and boy scout headquarters. 1867. Flemish bond brick with
limestone bands and quoins, Bridgwater tiled roofs with ceramic
ridge cresting, coped verges and finials. Two parallel ranges with
clock tower in angle between two front gable ends. Single-storey
school room range to left with flat-roofed porch to left return,
C20 inserted steel casements, full gable over porch with 6-light
mullioned and transomed casement, rear and front gable ends have 3-
light pointed windows with cusped lights, quatrefoil over. Three-
stage clock tower to front has Tudor-arched planked door with
ornamental strap hinges, inscribed date 1867 over, cusped lancets
to left side and to middle stage, moulded string course carried
over windows as hoodmoulds, circular clock faces to front and left
side, offset octagonal stage below short octagonal spire with
gableted pointed openings.
Schoolhouse range projects to right with 2-storey stone bay on
gable end; square to ground floor with three cusped lancets,
canted first floor with 2 lancets to front, shallower pitched roof
than schoolroom, on kneelers. Right return of Old School House has
shouldered doorway to right of external stack with 3-light
chamfered mullioned casement to right, single-light and 2-light
first floor chamfered casements, gable over right one.
Interior of former schoolroom retains arch-braced collar truss
roof, glazed partition. Included as good example of gothic-style
National School, probably by a local architect.


Listing NGR: ST8382055417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.