History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Monkton Farleigh, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3861 / 51°23'10"N

Longitude: -2.28 / 2°16'47"W

OS Eastings: 380613

OS Northings: 165269

OS Grid: ST806652

Mapcode National: GBR 0QM.0D8

Mapcode Global: VH96N.FFJ7

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 13 November 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285556

English Heritage Legacy ID: 314585

Location: Monkton Farleigh, Wiltshire, BA15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Monkton Farleigh

Built-Up Area: Monkton Farleigh

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Monkton Farleigh St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Bathford

Listing Text

ST 86 NW MONKTON FARLEIGH MONKTON FARLEIGH VILLAGE
(west side)


2/139 Church of St Peter

13-11-62


GV II*


Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C17, 1844 rebuilding by T.H.
Wyatt, restored 1874. Rubble stone with dressed limestone chancel,
stone slate roof with coped verges and cross finials. Plan: west
tower, aisleless nave, with north porch and south vestry, C19
chancel. Gabled porch with double chamfered pointed doorway with
original studded and ledged door, coped verge. Nave has two C19
pointed windows either side of porch, C19 buttresses with offsets.
C13-style chancel of 1844 has two trefoiled lancets to north side,
diagonal buttress and 3-light pointed window to east end. Vestry
attached to south side of chancel said to be 1829 Sunday School;
two 3-light mullioned windows with elliptical arched lights and
hoodmoulds, stone stack on west gable end over gabled stone porch.
South side of nave has four 2-light C19 pointed windows and one
cusped lancet with hoodmould to right. Two-stage tower, possibly
C12, has angle buttresses, chamfered lancet to west side, bellstage
has pair of roll-moulded round-headed lights with latticed stone
louvres, possibly C12 string course to plain parapet and corbel
table on north and south side, saddleback roof.
Interior: Porch with fixed stone benches, inner C12 doorway with
chevron ornament to round arch, scalloped capital to left hand
shaft, right shaft has capital with mask, inserted Tudor-arched
doorway with double planked doors. Save has 5-bay C19 deep arch-
braced collar truss roof on stone corbels, polychrome tiled floor,
ashlar-lined walls. Narrow double-chamfered tower arch with
wrought iron gates and octagonal C19 stone font with painted floral
decoration and carved rosettes. C19 pointed chancel arch on
attached shafts, chancel has 2-bay deep arch-braced collar truss
roof similar to nave roof, small restored chamfered pointed piscina
on south wall and trefoiled aumbry on north wall, segmental pointed
door to vestry. C17 communion table with turned legs. C19 mosaic
reredos and C19 communion rail in brass and wood. Other fittings:
good C17 octagonal pulpit with arched panels and lozenges, reset on
C19 stone plinth, linenfold panelling behind. C19 nave and chancel
seating. Some more reset linenfold panelling behind organ on west
wall on nave. Stained glass mostly of 1860s and 1870s and north
window in chancel of 1905, signed J. Bell and Son, Bristol, in
memory of Charles and Elizabeth Kendall; she died 1904. Three
bells dated 1623, 1724 and 1783. Good collection of C17, C18 and
C19 tablets. Chancel examples include stone tablet to Sara Grant
died 1602, cartouche to children of Rev Richard Ford, late C17,
pedimented tablet with fluted pilasters to Mary Sartain died 1712,
bolection-moulded tablet to William Watson. Nave tablets include
bolection-moulded tablet to Mary Hayward, died 1717, shaped tablet
to Jane, Elizabeth and Susanna Cottle died 1754, 1765 and 1769,
stone tablet with good lettering to Thomas Butler died 1713,
several C19 black and white marble including one to Wade Browne
died 1851 signed by Gaffin of London.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; VCH,
Wiltshire, Vol 7, 1953; Church Guide)


Listing NGR: ST8061365269

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.