This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3934 / 51°23'36"N
Longitude: -2.1405 / 2°8'25"W
OS Eastings: 390319
OS Northings: 166049
OS Grid: ST903660
Mapcode National: GBR 1RX.RMR
Mapcode Global: VH96Q.V78N
Entry Name: Church of St Barnabas
Listing Date: 13 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314385
Location: Melksham Without, Wiltshire, SN12
Civil Parish: Melksham Without
Built-Up Area: Beanacre
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Melksham
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 96 NW MELKSHAM WITHOUT BEANACRE
2/168 Church of St. Barnabas
Anglican church. Foundation stone dated 17 November 1885.
Squared rubble stone. Tiled roof with carved cross finials.
Early Gothic style. 4.5-bay nave and 2.5-bay chancel; no aisles.
Gabled north porch; door has moulded pointed arch. Nave has three
3-light trefoil-headed pointed windows, the central light having a
single transom. Chancel has 2 lancet windows and a geometric
Decorated style east window with moulded drip mould. Contemporary
church room with two 3-light mullioned windows and one 4-light
square trefoil headed window is attached to south side of nave.
Flat roofed C20 vestry extension attached to south west not
included. West window has heavy geometric tracery. Bell cote
with single bell and cross finial to west gable of nave.
Interior: Nave has roof with arch braced collar trusses and cross
motif between collar and ridge. Large blind elliptical arch in
south wall has inserted door to C20 vestry. Ashlar door and
window surrounds are chamfered. Moulded plaster string course
runs below windows. Plain chamfered pointed arch is in centre of
bay 5. C14 stone font at west end of nave has octagonal bowl on
cylindrical column and was brought to this church from the Church
of St. Michael, Melksham. This is an important feature.
Listing NGR: ST9032266050
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings