History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edward the Confessor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Westcot Barton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.928 / 51°55'40"N

Longitude: -1.3747 / 1°22'28"W

OS Eastings: 443094

OS Northings: 225685

OS Grid: SP430256

Mapcode National: GBR 7VJ.184

Mapcode Global: VHCWT.4S3V

Entry Name: Church of St Edward the Confessor

Listing Date: 27 August 1956

Last Amended: 18 May 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285863

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252030

Location: Westcot Barton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Westcot Barton

Built-Up Area: Middle Barton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Westcote Barton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Ledwell

Listing Text

WESTCOT BARTON ENSTONE ROAD
SP42NW (South side)
6/214 Church of St. Edward the
27/08/56 Confessor
(Formerly listed as Church of
St. Edward)
GV II*

Church. C12 and C15, restored 1856 by G.E. Street. Limestone rubble and ashlar;
Stonesfield-slate and Welsh-slate roofs. 3-bay nave, south aisle and porch,
chancel and west tower. C15 ashlar chancel, with moulded plinth and
steeply-pitched stone-slated roof, has square-headed 2-light side windows with
casement mouldings, ogee tracery and labels, a 3-light east window with
Perpendicular tracery in a 4-centred arch, and has a 4-centre arched priest's
door on the south. Narrow south aisle, of earlier rubble masonry, has two C15
windows, the east window cutting through the base of a lancet, and a similar C19
window west of the porch. The C15 crenellated ashlar porch has an outer arch
with a continuous casement moulding and a C19 wooden dog gate, and has a sundial
inscribed on the gable, above which a smaller sundial has been reset. The C15
nave has a deep moulded plinth, a crenellated parapet, and the 3 windows to
north are similar to those in the chancel. C15 crenellated 3-stage tower, with a
moulded plinth and diagonally-set crocketted pinnacles, has a west window of 3
uncusped lights in a 4-centred arch. Interior: chancel has a cusped aumbry niche
by Street. Pointed Transitional chancel arch has moulded square imposts and a
chamfered western face. The 2-bay arcade has round arches and a circular pier
with scallop capital. All 3 have C19 stencilled decorations. C12 tomb recess in
aisle has carved chevron and cable decoration. C19 roofs. Fine C15 chancel
screen has a gate, traceried panels, and a vine cornice; it was restored by
Street and painted by the Rev. E.L. Lockyer. C19 fittings throughout except the
restored C15 pulpit with traceried panels. Stained glass of 1855 by Hardman in
west window; of 1913 in east window.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.81; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.832-3).


Listing NGR: SP4309425685

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.