History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Infirmary at Royal Hospital School

A Grade II Listed Building in Holbrook, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9739 / 51°58'26"N

Longitude: 1.1562 / 1°9'22"E

OS Eastings: 616876

OS Northings: 235312

OS Grid: TM168353

Mapcode National: GBR TNV.C3C

Mapcode Global: VHLC6.0N24

Entry Name: Infirmary at Royal Hospital School

Listing Date: 23 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285879

English Heritage Legacy ID: 277474

Location: Holbrook, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Holbrook

Built-Up Area: Royal Hospital School

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Holbrook All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bentley

Listing Text

TM 13 NE HOLBROOK STUTTON ROAD

2/99 Infirmary at Royal Hospital
School

GV II

Former infirmary. Circa 1925-33. Buckland and Heywood. Red brick Flemish bond,
darker brick dressings, plain tile hipped roofs. North facade. End stacks, and
to front on ridge above 3rd first floor bay. 2 storeys. 7 bays, the ground floor
with a pair of windows to each bay. 7 first floor 3 x 4 paned horned sashes with
glazing bars, darker brick flush band at cill level. Ground floor central doorway
with stone surround, corbels supporting, segmental pediment. Pair of part-glazed
doors beneath overlight with glazing bars. Alternate windows to left and right
have above, a semi-circular head delineated in darker brick, the rest have a dark
brick flat arch; linking brick band at lintel height. To each side, five 3 x 4
paned horned sashes with glazing bars, with a further inner and outer window of
2 x 4 panes. To left and right a single storeyed flat roofed block breaks forward,
each with a tripartite horned sash with glazing bars. Right hand return of right
hand block has paired doors with overlight, similar to main front, and 2 windows
to left and right, that to far right a blind opening of 2 x 4 paned size, matching
glazed window to left. Inner 3 x 4 paned window each side. To south, wards laid
out in butterfly plan. Single storeyed, the south front, of canted wings. Central
bay breaks forward, central tripartite sash with glazing bars, with 2 x 4 paned
windows to left and right. Glazed doors with overlights to flanks. 5 bay sections
to left and right, arch with central door and assorted small paned windows. Outer
wing to left of 7 bays, to right of 8 bays, that to left with windows only, that
to right, including 2 glazed doors. Formerly a verandah attached to south front,
of which flooring and brackets for roof survive.


Listing NGR: TM1687635312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.