History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sproughton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Sproughton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0637 / 52°3'49"N

Longitude: 1.0975 / 1°5'50"E

OS Eastings: 612418

OS Northings: 245122

OS Grid: TM124451

Mapcode National: GBR TMM.N8S

Mapcode Global: VHLBR.ZD19

Entry Name: Sproughton Hall

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285915

English Heritage Legacy ID: 277373

Location: Sproughton, Babergh, Suffolk, IP8

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Sproughton

Built-Up Area: Sproughton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Sproughton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Sproughton

Listing Text

TM 1245 SPROUGHTON LOWER STREET
5/45
Sproughton Hall
22.2.55
GV II
House. Late C16 orearly C17 and later. Timber framed, rendered, brick, plaintile
roofs, the front range hipped. L plan. 2½ storey front range, 2 storey rear
range. Cellars. 3 windows 2- and 3-light C20 timber cross casements. Central
French window formerly the main entrance. 2 gabled casement dormers with shaped
finials. External stepped brick stack to right hand gable, c1600 in English
bond, and with tile- roofed link to main roof. Left hand return. Resited
doorway. Door with 2 lower raised and fielded panels, the upper part glazed, in
moulded doorcase with ramped cornice and between reeded pilasters. Timber porch
with flat canopy on 2 fluted timber posts on tall square bases. Rear range.
Large external brick stack in Flemish bond, c1700, on base of earlier brick
stack. Added C17 one bay 2 storey dairy with first floor louvred window.
Interior: Cellar of 2 two-bay cells beneath right hand front and part of rear
range, both ceiled with horizontal joists, the front with bar stops, the rear with
lamb's tongue stops to the main beams. C18 panelling, fireplace surround and
flanking alcoves installed 1950's. Deep chamfered main beam and horizontal joists
to rear range. Front range, clasped purlin roof. Rear, wind braced side purlin
roof, much repaired.


Listing NGR: TM1241845122

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.