History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 5 (The Queens Cottage) and Attached Pump

A Grade II Listed Building in Toot Baldon, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7027 / 51°42'9"N

Longitude: -1.1782 / 1°10'41"W

OS Eastings: 456885

OS Northings: 200759

OS Grid: SP568007

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZT.8XK

Mapcode Global: VHCY2.JGGK

Entry Name: Number 5 (The Queens Cottage) and Attached Pump

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 19 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285919

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248406

Location: Toot Baldon, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Toot Baldon

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Marsh Baldon with Toot Baldon and Nuneham Courtenay

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cuddesdon

Listing Text

TOOT BALDON
SP5600
8/168 No.5 (The Queen's Cottage) and
18/07/63 attached pump
(Formerly listed as Queens
Cottage)

GV II

Farmhouse, now house. C16, extended early C18. Partly-rendered timber framing
with brick infill; limestone rubble with wooden lintels; plain-tile roof with
stone and brick stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys. Front, facing away from road, has the
re-built gable end of the main range projecting to right of the entrance, and
the remainder of the front is mostly hidden by a tiled glazed porch. The roof is
hipped to left and has a large ridge stack rising from a stone base in line with
the entrance. The left end wall and the 2-window return wall of the main range
have exposed square framing, and the main range is extended to rear by a lower
rubble range with a large stone chimney projection in the rear gable wall
bearing the inscription "RY/1729". Interior: central stack has a large open
fireplace and 2 Tudor-arched stone fireplaces with moulded surrounds and
recessed spandrels; winder stair flanking stack; some early C17 oak panelling.
Attached to the rubble range is a C19 cast-iron pump with a bottle-shaped
attachment with tap.


Listing NGR: SP5688500759

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.