This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1093 / 52°6'33"N
Longitude: 0.7418 / 0°44'30"E
OS Eastings: 587853
OS Northings: 249205
OS Grid: TL878492
Mapcode National: GBR RHX.NCS
Mapcode Global: VHKDX.T71W
Entry Name: Mill House
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277820
Location: Alpheton, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10
Civil Parish: Alpheton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Alpheton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 84 NE
House. C14, C15 and C16 with later alterations. Roughcast and colour~washed timber-frame with plain-tile roof and brick stacks. PLAN: Hall house with 2 cross wings. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3-windows at first floor. C20 cross-casements: 2-light, 3-light and 3-light with low 3-light to lst floor centre. 6-panel part-glazed door to centre left with moulded wood architrave and a flat hood on brackets. Further casements and door to left end. French window with some coloured margin glass to right end and doors and casements to rear. Date 1574 on left cross wing gable and the right cross wing has a jettied lst floor and date 1923 in gable. INTERIOR: Cross passage has shallow plaster vault. Dining hall to right has floor inserted into the open hall in C16 and has broad chamfered bridging beam with ogee stops. A massive brick stack inserted Cl5 has open fireplace with 4-centre arched niches and above it a recessed panel, the head formed of a series of moulded brick gablets of semi-quatrefoils supported on miniature corbels. Wall painting on opposite wall, almost entirely renewed/repainted. Over the bedrooms is the smoke-blackened 2~bay crown post roof with arched braces to the tie from moulded and brattished corbels and the crown post having braces to the collars. Cross~wing to left has massive close-studded framing visible on ground floor including a blocked 4-centre arched doorway. Kitchen to rear has open fireplace with smoke bay. Upper floor is partly open and has long been used for storage. Framing of much lighter scanning includes tie beam trusses with curved braces and square crown posts supporting collar purlin and upper collars. Long diagonal braces over rafters. Small section of wall painting resembling rusticated stonework. Wing to right has sitting room with C18 shell-headed open corner cupboard with further cupboard behind. A fine timber-framed house with very significant survivals from the C14 and C15.
Listing NGR: TL8785349205
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings