This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2045 / 51°12'16"N
Longitude: -2.1874 / 2°11'14"W
OS Eastings: 387002
OS Northings: 145053
OS Grid: ST870450
Mapcode National: GBR 1V5.KR5
Mapcode Global: VH97H.1ZGH
Entry Name: The Weymouth Arms Inn
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312897
Location: Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Warminster
Built-Up Area: Warminster
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Warminster St Denys
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WARMINSTER EMWELL STREET
No 12 (The Weymouth
ST 8645 SE 5/48 28.4.52.
ST 8745 SW 6/48
Early-mid C18 reworking. 2 storeys and attic. Centre block older probably
with 2 projecting wings. Central part of coursed rubble with occasional alteration
in size, on a splayed plinth and moulded drip string over ground floor windows.
Moulded wooden eaves cornice with 1 brick ridge chimney to old tile roof.
Two 2 light stone mullioned casements on 1st floor. 1 casement on ground
floor and 6 panel door with panelled reveals in architrave surround in right
hand corner. The wings are an early surviving example of brick facing in
Warminster (possibly circa 1749). They stand on stone plinth and only the
front shews brick, the rest is coursed local rubble work. Rusticated ashlar
quoins, ashlar drip string at 1st floor level and with bold moulded cornice
to left hand wing (removed from right hand wing). Ripped stone tiled roof.
Each wing (and the centre) has one dormer with moulded pediment. Right hand
wing has a 2 light casement with stone architrave surround and central mullion.
The left hand wing has 3 glazing bar sash windows with stone architraves on
1st floor, 2 modern matching windows on ground floor. 6 panel door to right
in plain wide Doric pilaster doorcase with moulded pediment and large triple
keystone. Return of west (right hand) wing has fine Venetian window (Doric)
with glazing bars and Gothick tracery made up of letters 'W' and 'V' to head.
Return of east (left hand) wing is longer and has double roman tiles. 2 narrow
3 light 1st floor casements with beaded inner edge and small glazing bar panes
among other windows. Arched entrance to south-east in narrow alleyway between
Nos 7 and 12. Centre and right ground floor rooms panelled (mid C18 style)
latter with bolection surround fireplace, former with good Tudor arch C16
wide fireplace with carved spandrels.
Listing NGR: ST8700245053
Other nearby listed buildings