This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6884 / 51°41'18"N
Longitude: -1.1431 / 1°8'35"W
OS Eastings: 459333
OS Northings: 199197
OS Grid: SU593991
Mapcode National: GBR 901.5SP
Mapcode Global: VHCY3.4TKJ
Entry Name: Coach House Block and Attached Walls to North of Chiselhampton House
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 19 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286004
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248366
Location: Stadhampton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Stadhampton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stadhampton with Chiselhampton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU5999 (East side)
11/125 Coach-house block and
18/07/63 attached walls to N of
(Formerly listed as
Chiselhampton Lodge with
stables and coach house)
Coach-house and service range. c.1770, possibly by Samuel Dowbiggin. Brick in
Flemish bond and some limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate and
plain-tile roof. U-plan. 2 storeys and one storey. Symmetrical 5-window brick
front has a pedimented central section of 3 bays breaking forward from the
single-storey flanking bays. Ground floor has four 12-pane sashes, with brick
flat arches, and a central archway; first floor has three low 6-pane sashes;
ashlar plinth, storey band, and cornice. Roof is hipped over side bays, and the
central ridge has a circular brick stack with spiral moulding. Rear wall is
partly stone. Single-storey rubble wings, projecting to rear, have wide
segmental-arched casements. Left wing is rebuilt; right wing has one bay of
accommodation plus a 3-bay rubble and tiled open shed. Extending further to
right is a brick and tiled range with 4 coach-house bays, and 2 closed bays with
a plank door flanked by small windows. Interiors not inspected. Brick walls,
partly rebuilt, link front to train,house and are lined with lean-to kennels.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VII, p.7).
Listing NGR: SU5933399197
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings