This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9373 / 51°56'14"N
Longitude: -1.3908 / 1°23'26"W
OS Eastings: 441975
OS Northings: 226707
OS Grid: SP419267
Mapcode National: GBR 7V9.H64
Mapcode Global: VHBZB.VK2Q
Entry Name: Sandford Park
Listing Date: 27 August 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286006
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251977
Location: Sandford St. Martin, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Sandford St. Martin
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sandford St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SANDFORD ST.MARTIN WORTON ROAD
Small country house. c.1700, possibly for Gerard Croker. Re-modelled and
enlarged late C18. Marlstone ashlar with limestone dressings; limestone ashlar;
Welsh-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. Double-depth plan extended to triple-depth
plan. 2 storeys plus attic and 3 storeys. 5-window marlstone front, with
chamfered rusticated quoins, cornice and balustraded parapet with ball finials,
breaks forward in the centre bay below a small triangular pediment contain an
architraved oculus, and has a segmental-arched window with double-stepped
keyblock above a C20 stone doorcase; outer bays have 12-pane sashes in stone
architraves with angle rolls; keyblocks at ground floor are linked to a storey
band. Left return wall has an attic storey above the returned cornice. Late C18
limestone 3-window garden front is of 3 storeys with a higher cornice and has
large Venetian windows flanking the central doorway, which has an Ionic porch
and an ornamental fanlight; 16-pane sashes at first floor and 12-pane above.
Right return wall is altered and irregular but retains one early sash with wide
glazing bars; it links with the stable court (q.v.). Interior: deep stair hall,
with curved cantilevered late C18 stone stair with cast-iron balustrade, now
opens to a fielded-panelled room with early C18 marble fireplace. Double-depth
library with fielded panelling and dentil cornice is formed from 2 early C18
rooms and retains one marble fireplace. Late C18 rooms to rear have introduced
contemporary fireplaces and mahogany panelled doors.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.173; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.751).
Listing NGR: SP4197526707
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings