This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1022 / 53°6'7"N
Longitude: -1.0364 / 1°2'11"W
OS Eastings: 464609
OS Northings: 356540
OS Grid: SK646565
Mapcode National: GBR 9H9.GSV
Mapcode Global: WHFHD.19Q4
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 11 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242117
Location: Farnsfield, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Farnsfield
Built-Up Area: Farnsfield
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Farnsfield
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 65 NW FARNSFIELD MAIN STREET
2/62 Church of
Parish church. Early C15. Rebuilt with the exception of part of
the tower 1859-60 by Hine and Evans. Ashlar and rock faced
ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs to all but the spire
which is of plain tiles. Coped gables with decorative kneelers
and small decorative ridge finials. Single stack to east end of
the south aisle. South west tower, nave, north and south aisles,
north porch, north organ chamber, south vestry and chancel.
Buttressed, all but tower set on a low chamfered plinth.
Diagonally buttressed ashlar tower. Set on a plinth with moulded
band over. The spire topped with a weathervane. 3 stages with
bands. The west wall has a single window with 2 arched lights
under a flat arch, above is a single arched light. Each side of
the bell chamber has a gabled half dormer, coped with decorative
label stops. Each with single arched opening with 2 arched and
cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. Over those
of the east and north sides are single clock faces. The west
side has 2 rectangular stair openings with a single opening to
the south side. to the left of the tower is the west wall of the
nave with 2 arched lights each with hood mould and label stops.
Above is a single arched window with 3 trefoils, hood mould and
label stops. Projecting from this wall is a C20 brick and felt
extension. The west end of the north aisle has a single arched
window with 3 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and
label stops. The north wall has a single arched window with 2
arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops.
Gabled porch, engaged colonnettes with decorative capitals
support the pointed moulded arched entrance with hood mould and
human head label stops. The side walls each have single small
windows with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery and flat arch.
Inner doorway with 2 engaged colonnettes and decorative capitals
supporting the pointed moulded arch. to the left of the porch
are 2 arched windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights,
tracery, hood mould and label stops. In the clerestory are 4
gabled half dormers each coped with decorative label stops and
with single arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights,
tracery, hood mould and label stops. The east end of the north
organ chamber has a single arched window with 3 arched and cusped
lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. The apsidal chancel
has 3 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood
mould and label stops. Adjacent the south east side is a single
rectangular ashlar head stone to John Robin, 1671. The east
vestry has a single trefoil arched light and the south wall a
Caernarvon arched doorway. The east wall of the south aisle has
a single arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, tracery,
hood mould and label stops. The south wall has 2 arched windows
each with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and
label stops. To the left is a pointed arched doorway, 2 engaged
colonnettes with decorative capitals support the moulded arch
with hood mould and human head label stops. The south clerestory
corresponds to the north, however there are only 3 dormers.
Interior. 3 bay south arcade and 4 bay north arcade both with
round columns and responds, moulded capitals and double chamfered
arches. The south aisle/tower arch is chamfered to arch only.
The double chamfered chancel arch is supported each side on
responds of triple shafts with moulded capitals. North
aisle/north organ chamber chamfered arch. Possible C12 circular
font set on to a circular pedestal and base. Remaining furniture
C19 and C20. On the north tower wall is a monument to William
Watson, 1755. The inscription is flanked by Ionic pilasters and
decorative floral scrolls, surmounting the inscription is a
cherub's head with dentil segmental arch over topped with a
decorative urn. The 3 apse windows are by Wailes 1862 and the
west nave by Clayton and Bell 1876.
Listing NGR: SK6460956540
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings