History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge Across River Don

A Grade II Listed Building in Warmsworth, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5071 / 53°30'25"N

Longitude: -1.1892 / 1°11'20"W

OS Eastings: 453874

OS Northings: 401467

OS Grid: SE538014

Mapcode National: GBR NW4W.BJ

Mapcode Global: WHDD7.P3YP

Entry Name: Bridge Across River Don

Listing Date: 27 May 1953

Last Amended: 26 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286095

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334861

Location: Sprotbrough and Cusworth, Doncaster, DN4

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Warmsworth

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Warmsworth St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Doncaster

Listing Text

The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1151606, in the parish of Sprotbrough. This entry was removed from the list on 6th May 2015.

SE59SW 1/87

WARMSWORTH
SPROTBROUGH BOAT

Bridge across River Don
(formerly listed as Sprotbrough Bridge)

27.5.53

II

Bridge. Probably 1864 by Benjamin Brundell and William Arnold for Sir Joseph
William Copley (Civic Trust Newsletter); central span replaced 1897 in
ironwork by Newton Chambers of Sheffield. Fabricated iron central span;
rock-faced sandstone walling to piers and flanking causeways. Causeways each
have 3 segmental arches with rusticated voussoirs springing from cavetto-
moulded imposts; brick soffits; some waterspouts in spandrels; cornices
beneath rough-cast parapets with copings which terminate at end piers each
with ashlar frieze and modillioned cornice. Central span has riveted girders
with cross-braced side panels set in rebates in quoined and corniced abutment
piers. Square-latticed balustrade with wooden handrail on downstream side.
Oval plaques at each end of span state:

"ERECTED/BY/NEWTON CHAHBERS/& CO. LIMITED/THORNCLIFFE/IRONWORKS/SHEFFIELD/
1897".

Spans the River Don and is partly in the parish of Sprotbrough. History
confused by references to Sprotbrough Bridge nearby (mid C19, for same
patron, altered).
'Doncaster's Architects : No 5. Benjamin Shaw Brundell', Doncaster Civic
Trust, Newsletter 44, November 1984.
Kelly's Directory, West Ridinq, 1889, p.1105.


Listing NGR: SE 53874 01467

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.