History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Melksham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.379 / 51°22'44"N

Longitude: -2.1256 / 2°7'32"W

OS Eastings: 391356

OS Northings: 164450

OS Grid: ST913644

Mapcode National: GBR 1S4.HFP

Mapcode Global: VH96R.3LNP

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 13 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286098

English Heritage Legacy ID: 314242

Location: Melksham, Wiltshire, SN12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Melksham

Built-Up Area: Melksham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Melksham

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Melksham

Listing Text

ST 9164 MELKSHAM CHURCH LANE
(west side)

6/24 Church of St. Andrew, Melksham
Forest


II

Anglican Parish Church 1876. By Charles Adye. Ashlar, decorative
tiled roof with coped verges, cross finials and cresting. Nave and
chancel with south door and north vestry. Early English style.
Door in pointed roll-moulded arch with hood mould with foliated
terminals, slightly projecting gabled panel around door has trefoil
with small statue of St. Andrew. 3-bay nave has two lancets with
roll moulding to each bay, buttresses separate bays, strng course
below windows. One-bay chancel with lower roof level has 2 lancets
with roll moulding, angle buttresses and 3 graded lancets to east
end, string course below. Gabled vestry porch on north side of
chancel has pointed arched door with hood mould, trefoil over and
small lancet half in the roof. West end has 2 lancets with roll
moulding and trefoil over, church room abutting west wall has 2
plain lancets and pointed north door with hood mould and foliated
terminals. Gabled bell cote to west gable.
Interior: Plain ashlar walls have string below lancets, no
demarcation of bays. Braced collar rafter roof. C13-style chancel
arch has good moulding and grouped shafts on foliated corbels with
foliated capitals, hood mould. Piscina in north wall has pointed
arch with hood mould and corbel with good vine carving. Reredos of
1898 in pink and white marble has 3 niches with statues of Christ,
Mary and John the Baptist, marble panels either side have fine
carved scenes in quatrefoils and naturalistic floral carving in
rectangular panels. East window has good brightly coloured glass
by Powell and Sons. Nave has good stained glass of early C20, west
windows are memorial to members of the Lopes family of Sandridge
Park (q.v.). (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire,
1972).


Listing NGR: ST9135664450

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.