This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5187 / 51°31'7"N
Longitude: -0.0815 / 0°4'53"W
OS Eastings: 533206
OS Northings: 181714
OS Grid: TQ332817
Mapcode National: GBR T9.TS
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.J3R4
Entry Name: Gothic Style Offices Flanking the Ramp, and the 2 Western Bays of the Train Sheds, at Liverpool Street Station
Listing Date: 5 August 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286133
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199581
Location: City of London, London, EC2A
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Bishopsgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Botolph without Bishopsgate
Church of England Diocese: London
LIVERPOOL STREET EC2
Gothic style offices flanking
the ramp, and the 2 western
bays of the train sheds, at
Liverpool Street Station
TQ 3281 NW 5/N/10 5.8.75.
1872-1875, by Edward Wilson, engineer to the Eastern Counties Railway Company.
L-shaped range of office buildings with Gothic detailing, around the ramp down
from Liverpool Street. North range is asymmetrical with plain central tower, the
spire missing. Brick with stone dressings. Paired windows to principal floor
beneath simple pointed arches, plate tracery in tympanum. Offices also face onto
the station. Train shed with twin naves separated by a double row of columns with
flanking aisles; the long eastern nave extending to Liverpool Street served long-distance
trains. Slim columns with faceted capitals support slight arched wrought iron
trusses with cast iron ornament in spandrels. Glazed roof. Cross-vaulted 'transept'
across tile concourse of the western nave spans the whole shed. The aisles are
also vaulted at right angles to the main roofs. Western boundary wall with 3 grouped
lancets to each bay, blocked to the springing point of the outer arches.
Listing NGR: TQ3320681714
Other nearby listed buildings